Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • david-
    • Dec 2007

Colour display

When I play a video on any player like Windows media player, etc its much darker but when I watch it on another computer, the colour is normal. Any ideas??
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Originally Posted by david-
    When I play a video on any player like Windows media player, etc its much darker but when I watch it on another computer, the colour is normal. Any ideas??
    hi david. welcome. that use to happen to me also. find the color sharp, contrast , and bright controls that should be on your monitor, usually on the lower right. play w/that and tweek them until you get a desired result.

also i noticed that the picture always looked darker when i was laying down, or looking at it from an angle. when i looked directly at it from a somewhat more even position it was closer to normal.

personally, i'm not that much of a fan of anything microsoft, except for windows xp, and that's by default because of my pc. if after you adjust the color controls you still get a dark picture, just search the forum when you can, there's a player you could download for free. i think it's called video media player classic. not sure. ok.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• david-
      • Dec 2007

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
      hi david. welcome. that use to happen to me also. find the color sharp, contrast , and bright controls that should be on your monitor, usually on the lower right. play w/that and tweek them until you get a desired result.

also i noticed that the picture always looked darker when i was laying down, or looking at it from an angle. when i looked directly at it from a somewhat more even position it was closer to normal.

personally, i'm not that much of a fan of anything microsoft, except for windows xp, and that's by default because of my pc. if after you adjust the color controls you still get a dark picture, just search the forum when you can, there's a player you could download for free. i think it's called video media player classic. not sure. ok.
      I've tried adjusting the settings on the monitor. I watched a clip on media player but its dark and i've tried watching it on youtube and its normal.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

david. when you say you tried playing a video, do you mean 1 you put in, or 1 off the internet? also, if it looks good on youtube, then i don't think it's your video card going bad. what version of windows media player do you have? 11 hasn't done so well as an upgrade.

you might want to go back to ten if that's the case. what's your pc? what version of windows? if you have vista god help you. it's been a pita for most people. are your drivers up to date? just throwing stuff out, but i feel it has to be the player itself if you watched it on your own pc w/youtube and it was good.

maybe chewy or 1 of the other fellas might have some ideas. they're more experienced.

post back what hardware you have and the os you're using along w/the version of windows media player, and we'll take it from there. ok.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• olyteddy
          • Nov 2006

Most video players display the image in some variant of 'overlay' mode. This uses less CPU resources to display. Most video drivers have separate brightness/contrast/color/tint/sharpness settings for overlay. They'll be accessible in the 'Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced tab(s)'. IDK about WMP11, but any decent video player will also allow you to not use overlay. Soooo... Either turn off overlay or find the brightness control or use a media player that you can force direct video (VLC is one such player).

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

hi oly. so the same video drivers used to see youtube are processed w/ some variant of 'overlay' mode when used by a video player? aren't the video drivers using the same CPU resources when viewing off the net? or is that covered by the site itself via one's isp?

i think dave needs to give us some more info on what he actually has as far as hardware, and os, etc... i tried watching some youtube stuff a while back, and it didn't come off well. especially as an attachment to an e-mail.

Comment

Working...