Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • locomotor55
    • Jan 2008

.avi files to DVD-R help

Hi everyone, this is my first post on digital video forums. I have a friend who asked me to help her basically get her videos from her computer to DVD-R disk.

She used a Cannon digital camera to shoot video. She saved the videos on the SD card and moved them to her computer with it. Her computer has a DVD RW/R drive. She is using Roxio and trying to drag and drop the .avi files into the programs active pane and then clicking burn to DVD button. I'm pretty sure that .avi is a microsoft multimedia "container" originally developed for older verisons of Windows. MPEG4 and MP4 are newer containers, from what I undertand. Anyway, when she plays the videos on her computer they open in Real Player. When you right click on the files and hit properties it lists them as .avi files. So my question is...what is the best way to take an .avi file and get it to burn to a DVD-R disk?

I have the installation disk for Nero, so I've thought about installing that on her computer and trying. I don't know much about Roxio, other than it came with her Dell Inspiron laptop. When it comes to codecs, and file extensions etc. I am struggling to learn what is compatable with what, so I thought I'd start here to find some information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Jason
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

down load DVD Flick and Imgburn, google or you can find the links here, Flick will make that avi to DVD file and imgburn will burn to dvd for you, free
    sigpic

Comment

• locomotor55
      • Jan 2008

Thanks NightTran for the quick response! I appreciate it. I will give that a try.

Jason

Comment

• hondacity
        • Feb 2008

use the nero vision software to burn them to dvd..It'll burn with your menus.

Comment

• locomotor55
          • Jan 2008

Thanks hondacity. I'll let you and NightTran know how it goes. I won't get a chance for a couple days to have access to her computer.

Comment

Working...