Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodie
    • Dec 2001

Test Project Creating VCD

I'm trying to figure out if I can create a VideoCD one of my home movies for my Sony DVD player with my HP CD-writer 16 cd-rom. I downloaded Nero and it said demo expired. I try NTI eval copy and it doesn't find my CD-rom. So here I am.

Can I do this and if so, what's the best software to use to burn the cd. Better yet, what's the best freely accessible or free software I can use that can write to my HP CD-rom.

woodie (too often)
  • 1 Smelly Fish
    • Nov 2001

Hay there Woodie too often, Nero is the best software program to create a VCD in my opinon. But unfortunately it isnt for free

Cheers

Comment

• woodie
      • Dec 2001

I tryed Nero but all I could get is a Demo Expired message. I want to make sure this software will work with my CD-ROM burner and DVD player. I have no problem paying for it but I'd much prefer to see it work so I know what I'm paying for.

I actually had some success using VCDEasy! I was able to create a CD for my DVD of my home movie in the MPEG-1 format. But I've had no success with the MPEG-2 format and I'm not sure what the SVCD does or how it works. The MPEG-1 is fine but not the quality that I get with my DVD camera itself. I want to get the finest quality I can get and I'm assuming that would be SVCD.

So...can I get an eval of Nero or use VCDEasy and create a SVCD or MPEG-2 type compatible with my Sony DVD player?

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
        • Nov 2001

Hi Woodie, converting your home movies to VCD or SVCD will have minimal effect on the final quality you get if the original media your are converting is of poor quality. I am curious as to what type of file your trying to convert to MPEG1 or MPEG2 and why dont you use TMPGEnc to convert to MPEG, its a freeware. When you click on the VCD option in NERO it doesnt 'convert' an MPEG it simply burns the MPEG with crtain files that are required for a DVD/VCD player to playthe disc. I havent used VCD Easy so i cant coment on that

e-mail me to talk further about NERO if your interested

mattski35@start.com.au

Cheers

Comment

• woodie
          • Dec 2001

Hey Fish,

I am converting avi files directly from my dvd video camera to mpeg using the tmpenv(?) program. The vanilla mpeg-1 video files seem to work but the video quality is not nearly as good as the original avi. I'm wondering about svcd and mpeg-2 being able to play on my Sony DVD player. Is this possible? What is svcd anyway? Nero sounds good so far but I'd like to see it work before spending money on it. My budget (according to my wife) does not contain much room for computer wanna-haves.

wOOdie

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
            • Nov 2001

Ok no worries mate about the tight budget thing, I know where your comming from

What i would suggest you do first is to check that your stand-alone DVD player will play SVCD's. If your not sure than convert the AVI you have to a SVCD and burn to a CDRW and try it on your DVD Player (ie. if your dvd player can play CDRW's, if not just risk throwing a disc in the bin to check that your player will play SVCD's). TMPGEnc will convert your AVI to SVCD, just be sure to load in the SVCD template so it converts it to MPGE2.

I cant explain everything about VCD and SVCD to you here but check out this site as its full of great, usefull and easy to understand information about what your asking and going to be doing in the future.

Download free video and audio software. Old versions, user reviews, version history, screenshots.

Cheers mate and keep us posted on your success.

Comment

Working...