X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelspeed
    • Jul 2002

Another Problem- Please Help!

Hello,
    I have spent all day downloading an avi movie. Then I transferred it to mpg, finally got that burned, and now all that shows on my dvd when I put it in is the first frame or picture, and the title. It will not do anything else! My dvd player will play vcd/mp3/cdr & cdrw. Is there something that I am doing wrong, or a step that I am missing? Please help!
    Thanks,
    Kelle
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Did you play the .AVI that you downloaded? If not, perhaps the problem lies with THAT file...

Comment

• Kelspeed
      • Jul 2002

No, I will try that though... do I need those codes, or codecs, that I hear people talking about, is that where my problem could be?? What do those do, or what are they for?
      Thanks for replying.

Comment

• benedict
        Lord of the 4th Estate
        • Jun 2002

Yup! Gotta have the codecs ( COompressor/DECompressor). Your player won't know how to process the file without it. You'll need two, in fact: one for the video and one for the audio.

Since you got the first frame up, this doesn't sound to be your problem. If you would like to check on this, download and install "VirtualDub" (the link for this is in the "software" section of this web site). Open your file in VirtualDub. If it won't open, you don't have the codecs (or it is an .asf file). To find out what codecs you need, download "Movie-ID", place a shortcut to it on your desktop, and then drag-and-drop your video file on that shortcut. It should tell you everything you need. (Be sure to get VirtualDub too. If you keep having the problem, folks here will undoubtably ask you to go to it to get information they'll need to help you along.)

New at this stuff, huh?? Welcome to the
        fun, and don't pull too many of your hairs out!
        It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• Kelspeed
          • Jul 2002

Hello,
          Thanks for replying... I have downloaded the Virtual Dub, but cannot find the Movie-ID. Is it on this site, or somewhere else, could you please send me the link to it? Thanks for you help!
          Kelle

Comment

• benedict
            Lord of the 4th Estate
            • Jun 2002

Already taken care of via e-mail. If you haven't checked that yet, the Movie-ID ZIP file is attached along with comments.

P.S. on Movie-ID however. It's a champ on the video codec, but sometimes it'll tell you that there isn't even an audio track when you know that the file indeed has an audio track.

I don't find that to be a big problem as I use it primarily for video codec identification. Once you have that (and have that codec installed if you do not already), VirtualDub or my mentioned AVIinfo will fill in the blanks for you.

Happy hunting and welcome to the club.

It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• Kelspeed
              • Jul 2002

Ok, I promise this is the last question for the day! I downloaded a file, and now its too big to fit on one cd. However, the program I use to burn, Nero, does not have a "splitter". I have searched for one, but cannot find anything. Do you know where I could get one of these programs? Thanks so much for all of your help,
              Kelle

Comment

• spideys
                • Jul 2002

is it your asking how to split an avi file, then use virtual dub see it here : http://nickyguides.digital-digest.co...-split-avi.htm

Comment

• benedict
                  Lord of the 4th Estate
                  • Jun 2002

Per my 2nd e-mail, I don't work with files of this size, so take this with a grain of salt.

VirtualDub can indeed do this. You'll have to play with the slide controls there and the "start here" and "end here" controls on it. Basically, you'll have to do this twice. "Start here" at the start, and "end here" somewhere in the middle, and then "start here" (where "here" is the point you specified as "end here" on your first pass) and where your "end here" is the end of your video.

But let me confuse you even more: If you don't "start here" on a "key frame" on your second half, that part will probably start with a bunch of flickering colored boxes. Confused enough?

Not to worry. There are tutorials all over this site as well as many on other sites. Even one about "key frames" and a bunch on VirtualDub. All kinds of "How To"s, and they're very good too.

Don't worry about your "tough sailing" so far. You just have to put a bit of time into it. Everything you ask can be done and more. How much more? Well, you'll just have to start playing around with us...I assure you, you cannot even begin to concieve of how much. Stay tuned, and you'll start to see that all.

Comment

• Kelspeed
                    • Jul 2002

Spideys,
                    Thanks for the link, do you happen to have one for mpg files?
                    Thanks,
                    Kelle

Comment

• spideys
                      • Jul 2002

no worries

its on the same site

Comment

Working...