X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulio69nz
    • Jul 2005

Recode Without Compression

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

If I am backing up or reauthoring a movie that doesn't require any compression, are the "Advanced Analysis" and "High Quality Recode" options completely redundant? You still have the option of selecting them, but is there any point?

I would have thought they would have been disabled if they were not nessecary (like they were in DVDShrink if no compression was required)?
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

No, need to use them.

Comment

• Paulio69nz
      • Jul 2005

Thanks, I thought as much but wasn't so sure that I wasn't going to find out sure! Shrink made it nice and simple for me by just disable the features that weren't required - thats how I like it, nice and simple!

Comment

• Dashiell
        • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by cynthia
        No, need to use them.

Sorry, Cyn, but the OCDs are making me ask...

Did that mean "no need to use them" or "no, (you) need to use them." It's that damned comma.

I believe the answer is, of course, that they are not needed at all when all titles assembled are 100%.

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

I know - I can be tricky in my writing.

Pure guessing - but if there is no compression involved - that program should act as DVD Shrink - just do a copy of the original without any changes (only for the streams). So they should not be checked.

There are many odd things in Nero Recode 2 - tricky to understand why Nero don't show any interest in supporting that program to fix old bugs and odd things like this one.

Comment

• Dashiell
            • Apr 2005

I agree with you wholeheartedly. In particular, that bug that creates images/file folders that are JUST too big (4.38gb, typically) to burn on a DVD-R is particularly annoying.

The "merge titles" functionality that comes and goes with every revision and the lack of ability to set default streams are also high on the annoyance list.

I almost think everyone's better off sticking with DVDShrink.

I've never had an image size problem with Shrink... ever. One would think if the person who invented Shrink is now working on Recode, these issues would never have come up... it's all very odd.

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

If you put default size at 4480 and you also have a merging involved - you will always get 10-12 Mb over that size. So I always use default setting to 4460 at this days to avoid that problem.

New features - Haven't seen any for a long time. I also doubt very much the theory that he went to Nero to work there. A bug was someting he fixed very fast.

Seems the only new functions in Recode involves Nero Digital.

Comment

• laserfan
                • Mar 2005

Pure guess here, but... A lot would be explained if the author of Shrink simply sold the code to Nero, along w/some minimal support (and the promise never to resurrect Shrink again in any way).

Factor-in next the (new) involvement of Nero Marketing, and you can imagine all sorts of problems and mischief!

Comment

• Dashiell
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by cynthia
                  If you put default size at 4480 and you also have a merging involved - you will always get 10-12 Mb over that size. So I always use default setting to 4460 at this days to avoid that problem.

New features - Haven't seen any for a long time. I also doubt very much the theory that he went to Nero to work there. A bug was someting he fixed very fast.

Seems the only new functions in Recode involves Nero Digital.

Thank you again for the suggestion, Cyn, but I'm afraid I always leave my recode settings at DVD-5, which ends up being 4459. Same thing always happens when exporting to folder or image. When it's a direct burn to DVD-R (or +R) it always works fine.

Comment

Working...