X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronanm
    • Sep 2006

Crop 16:9 to 4:3 pan and scan???

Hi all,
    What crop settings do I need to enter in the "Video"-"Custom Crop" section in order to crop a widescreen DVD down to a 4:3 pan and scan video file. (I want to do this for iPod viewing, as the screen isn't really big enough to allow the luxury of a letterbox output)
    I've tried trial and error guesses, with varying results, but nothing concrete... even seems to vary from DVD to DVD. If anyone has a guide, or could suggest various settings I could use, that would be great!
    The iPod seems to be letterboxing the videos i've managed to produce, even if I don't have the "Letterboxing" checkbox ticked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Ronan.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

the ipod has a 'widescreen' option in the video settings menu, turn it off for pan & scan. cropping the video during encoding however will give you far better quality. as for whether recode can do this i'm not sure, having never used it-- i prefer MeGUI
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• ronanm
      • Sep 2006

Originally Posted by anonymez
      the ipod has a 'widescreen' option in the video settings menu, turn it off for pan & scan. cropping the video during encoding however will give you far better quality.
      Thanks, anon!
      That did the trick.. although some of the videos are looking stretched (vertically), now... i'll have to recode them, i think.

Originally Posted by anonymez
      as for whether recode can do this i'm not sure, having never used it-- i prefer MeGUI
      I've never tried MeGUI. Is that windows, yeah? Can you point me in the direction to get hold of it, and maybe a decent user guide for it?

Cheers,
      Ronan.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

an you point me in the direction to get hold of it, and maybe a decent user guide for it?
        get it from http://www.x264.nl, guide: http://mewiki.project357.com/Guides:...nversion_Guide
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...