Why does VirtualDub tell me I will get audio skew when I open AVI files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rooster6975
    Smart Chicken
    • Mar 2002

Why does VirtualDub tell me I will get audio skew when I open AVI files?

Occasionally I come across AVI files with bad frames in them. When I do, I use VDUB-MP3-Freeze to find the badframes and output them to a log file. I then open them up in VirtualDub and delete the bad frames up to the next key frame. This will fix the movie (at the peril of losing a few seconds of film).

However, sometimes when I open an AVI file with VirtualDub 1.4.10, it puts up a message saying that the original audio was recorded with VBR and that there is a problem with it. It suggests that there will be audio skew if I try to save it to a new AVI. I have seen the message inform me the audio skew will be as little as 7 ms to as many as 30,000 ms or more.

The only solution I have found is to extract the video seperately to a mute AVI file, then the audio to a VBR MP3 file. Then I use WinAmp to change the VBR file to a constant-rate WAV. Finally, I go back to VirtualDub and multiplex the new WAV file together with the mute AVI file to form a new AVI file with MP3 audio. In the end, I now have an AVI with no audio skew.

However, after all that work, I still have to go back and delete the bad frames to have a playable AVI file! I have tried AVIDefreezer, and the patch to have the video not freeze during playback, but prefer to simply get rid of the bad frames.

Does anyone know of a tool to fix or delete bad frames which can handle VBR problems without having to go through the lengthly procedure described above?

Thanks,
    Rooster
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Use nandub, which natively supports VBR MP3 streams.

Comment

Working...