Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nifty
    • Jan 2003

OK I'm an Idiot! How do I install ?

Usually when I install a program, I download it, unzip it or extract the files. I then look for an exe file extention and double click to install. I have downloaded the VFAPI plugin, unzipped it and am now looking at a group of icons. I am at a loss as to how to install it. If anyone can give me detailed instructions it would be a great help. Thanks in advance
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Read the readme.txt file ....
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Nifty
      • Jan 2003

I did, all it said was

"run vifpset.bat. You must do this before using VFAPIConvEN.exe."

How do I do this? I need detailed instructions if possible. eg. where do I find vifpset.bat when all I can see are the icons that appeared after I unzipped the folder.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

vifpset.bat is located in the .\Codec folder, VFAPIConv-EN.exe is located in the .\Reader folder. To run these simply double click on the file.

all I can see are the icons that appeared after I unzipped the folder.
        Are you saying that the file names are missing when you view the folder in explorer ?. If so you must have messed up your folder view settings pretty badly. But If you can't fix this simply do a file search to find the files.
        Last edited by khp; 17 Jan 2003, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Nifty
          • Jan 2003

Cont. Saga

I can read the file names under the icons but when I double click on "VPCodec.dll" I get the message
          "You are attempting to open a file type 'Application Extension' (dll) These files are used by the operating system and various Programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system. If you still want to open the file click open with, otherwise click cancel"
          I have tried to open it with notepad but all that came up was some pretty strange stuff. Another option it gave me was to search the web for a program that would open it. Any suggestions?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"where do I find vifpset.bat when all I can see are the icons that appeared after I unzipped the folder."

If you see an incon named "VIPSET.BAT" or simply "VIPSET", doubleclick on it...

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

Re: Cont. Saga

Originally posted by Nifty
              I can read the file names under the icons but when I double click on "VPCodec.dll" I get the message
              "You are attempting to open a file type 'Application Extension' (dll) These files are used by the operating system and various Programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system. If you still want to open the file click open with, otherwise click cancel"
              I have tried to open it with notepad but all that came up was some pretty strange stuff. Another option it gave me was to search the web for a program that would open it. Any suggestions?
              Where in the readme file did it tell you to run or even touch the VPCodec.dll file ?
              Last edited by khp; 17 Jan 2003, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Nifty
                • Jan 2003

Cont.

Nowhere, I was just using that as an example as to what happens when I try to open one of the files.
                When I double click "VIPSET" I get the message
                "could not locate inf file 'vfp.inf'
                Thanks for your help and your patients.
                What do you think should I try and download it again? Maybe it is corrupted somehow?

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

Sounds like you haven't extracted the files, you can't simply run the file from within the WinZip/Rar window, you need to extract all the files to a folder on your harddisk.

And the files Oemsetup.inf, VFCodec.dll,vifp.inf and vifpset.bat must be placed in the same folder.
                  Last edited by khp; 17 Jan 2003, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Nifty
                    • Jan 2003

Ya Hoo it works

Finally, I wiped out everything and started over. I downloaded DVD2AVI V1.76 that had the VFAPI plugin installed, I found it here http://www.divx-digest.com/software/dvd2avi.html I then downloaded the latest copy of TMPGEnc 2.59, from here

I then extracted all the files of both programs to the same folder. You can check and see if the VFAPI plugin has been installed in DVD2AVI by clicking the help dropdown menu in DVD2AVI, there should be a checkmark to the left of VFAPI.
                    For some reason the folder containing the files of both programs must be kept open while working with them if you close DVD2AVI and go to TMPGEnc it wont work.
                    If you drag the icon of DVD2AVI to your desk top the checkmark disappears and it wont work, why I dont know.
                    There is more help at the following

Comment

• khp
                      The Other
                      • Nov 2001

Re: Ya Hoo it works

Originally posted by Nifty

If you drag the icon of DVD2AVI to your desk top the checkmark disappears and it wont work, why I dont know.
                      This is because DVD2AVI.vfp must be in the same folder as DVD2AVI.exe for the vfapi plugin to work. If you want a DVD2AVI icon on your desktop you should create a shortcut to DVD2AVI.exe instead of copying the file. To do this rightclick on DVD2AVI.EXE and drag it to the desktop while holding down the right mouse button. When you let go, it will give you a menu, with the option 'Create shortcut here' select this.

It's generally a bad idear to copy executeable files to the desktop, createing shortcuts is a much better idear.
                      Last edited by khp; 18 Jan 2003, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Nifty
                        • Jan 2003

Nice Tip khp!

Thanks, a good and usefull tip.

Comment

Working...