Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tnburns
    • Feb 2003

Virtual Dub help needed!

Please help me! When compressing a movie with virtual dub, I want to use the Divx 5.0.3 codec but when I click on it, vdub crashes and the error reads "illegal instruction". Any idea what my problem could be? Thanks for any help!
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

which version, which settings?

Comment

• tnburns
      • Feb 2003

Thanks for reply

Thanks for replying, here is more info: I have Virtual Dub version 1.4.9 but the same problem occured with 1.4.13. I load my avi file, then add a contrast filter then click on compression and select Divx pro 5.0.3 codec. I then click on configure and it crashes. Crash reason is Illegal Instruction and below that it says Virtual Dub has crashed due to a program error. When I click ok the error message I receive is Virtual Dub executed an invalid instruction in module divx.dll at 017f:011abdfa

I also have 2 other divx codecs in the list that I may try but wanted to use 5.0.3 as I thought it was the best. They are divx mpeg-4 fast motion and divx mpeg-4 low motion. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

i have no possible explaination for this error (maybe someone else has) but i have one piece of a good advise: dont use divx 5.0.3!

i have tried it a couple of times and it didnt convince me at all.
        other people had similar opinions (check the thread divx 5.0.3).

if i were you, i'd de-install 5.0.3 and use the reliable predecessor 5.0.2

deinstall the existing version, then download tsunamis filterpack 397 from my page, install it via custom routine and keep all default entries!

try again and report back

click my upper anigif to access my page

Comment

• davexnet
          • Feb 2003

DivX 5.03 had (has) problems with some older processors,
          possibly AMD K6 ll or K6 lll.
          The code attempts to execute instructions that don't exist on
          those processors.
          The problem has been acknowledged, but I'm not sure what,
          if anything has been done.
          Dave