Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeandroTLZ
    • Mar 2003

DVDx / DVD2AVI "looping" multilanguage parts of video

When I encode some DVDs that include the same video segment in different languages, the segment gets encoded in a very annoying way. It'll show ~30 frames in one language, then the same frames in the next language, and then continue with the first language, and so on.

For example, in the Attack of the Clones DVD, the opening text gets displayed in three languages (region 4 disc), and so you get one second of the text in english, then the same second in spanish, then the same second in portuguese, and then it continues with the next second in english, and so on.

At first I thought that this had something to do with the angles, but it happens no matter what angle do I select. I've looked around the FAQs and guides, but I can't find a way to fix this.

I just used DVD2AVI to open a VOB that switches in that fashion between two languages, and I noticed that the first number in the Vob Cell ID changes to '2' every ~30 frames, and then goes back to 1; and finally, once the section of the video that is in different languages ends, the first number of Vob Cell ID goes to '3' and stays that way for the rest of the movie (unless there's another section in several languages somewhere in the movie).

So... is there a way to select which Vob Cell IDs you want to encode? I guess that encoding Cell IDs 1 and 3 only would get me the video without the annoying 'loops'. If that's not it, anyone has a clue of how to "fix" this? I generally use DVDx for encoding because I like having the subtitles hard-encoded in the video, but if there's another program that will encode the video correctly, I'd like to know.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Your problem does, in fact, lie with multiangles. One way to properly address this is as follows:

1) Use DVD Decrypter to rip the ENTIRE DVD to your hard drive

2) Use Flask to encode - Select "Open DVD" (NOT "Open File") - and select one angle or .IFO (If I remember correctly, the first one is English) that indicates a running time equal to that of the movie (approximately 2 hours)

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• LeandroTLZ
      • Mar 2003

Well, that worked beautifully -- thanks a lot!

FlaskMPEG 0.7.8.39 only has the option "Open Media" (not separate "Open File" and "Open DVD"), so I just opened the IFO instead of the VOBs.

I guess DVDx's angle selection doesn't work, then.

Thanks again!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Well, that worked beautifully -- thanks a lot!"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• toysys
          Old Guy
          • Sep 2002

setarip,

All this is what I have suspected all along, but... I use Xmpeg 5.x and have never had this problem before. I am trying to encode "10 Things I Hate about You". This movie is in three angles and Xmpeg correctly identifies them. I select "angle 0" and the movie starts out fine. At the end it begins looping title pages, first 0 then 1 then 2. Next it begins again on 0, and again... There are three "angle" entries in the IFO file. I edited the IFO and "deleted the playback" for the second two angles but it still loops, although all are the english pages now. IfoEdit will not let me remove the pointers to the 2nd and 3rd angles or edit their values. I guess what I would realy like to know is where I can find a document on the "format" of an IFO file. Have been looking on the WEB for two days now and came up empty (is this the secert of the centry?). I have searched this and several other BBs (and yes this includes doom9) and found nothing on this subject.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To toysys

You might try the following (No success guaranteed, but I seem to remember using this approach to overcome the same problem you've described when I converted "Toy Story 2" eons ago):

1) Use DVDDecrypter to rip only the movie. From the "Edit" (If I remember correctly) dropdown menu, select "Preferences" - and put a checkmark in the "Multi-angle" box. Select Angle 1. Rip to hard drive. (Remember to UNcheck the "Multi-angle" box when you're finished ripping)

2) Use Flask (or ANY of its variants) to select the first .VOB - the rest should load automatically (You can't use the 'IFO because the pointers are no longer valid as a consequence of having selected only one angle for the rip)

OR

2A) Use MPEG Mediator (easy to use - good results) - and load the .VOBs in sequential order

Let us know of your success ;>}
            Last edited by setarip; 19 May 2003, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• toysys
              Old Guy
              • Sep 2002

setarip,
              1) Use DVDDecrypter to rip only the movie. From the "Edit" (If I remember correctly) dropdown menu, select "Preferences" - and put a checkmark in the "Multi-angle" box. Select Angle 1. Rip to hard drive. (Remember to UNcheck the "Multi-angle" box when you're finished ripping)

Thanks. Never knew there was a setting in decrypter to select an angle. It's under 'tools-settings'. There is one in Xmpeg, but it doesn’t work for “10 Things …”. One more step to check. Thirty movies so far and I still feel like a novice.

2) Use Flask (or ANY of its variants) to select the first .VOB - the rest should load automatically (You can't use the 'IFO because the pointers are no longer valid as a consequence of having selected only one angle for the rip)
              OR
              2A) Use MPEG Mediator (easy to use - good results) - and load the .VOBs in sequential order

As for MPEG Mediator, It’s OK I guess. Just another tool that does the same job as many others. However, Mediator doesn’t support multi angles so this work is still a “pre-processing” task. Can't test "10 Things ...", don't have the DVD anymore. I am trying to keep it simple; currently I am using DivX 5.0.2, Xmpeg 5.0.3.1 (flask 6), DVD Decrypter v3.1.6.0, and Advanced DivX BitRate Calc! V1.95. I was using Divx4bitrate but it doesn’t work with Xmpeg 5 (files end up too large).

However, and more to the point, what I desperately need is INFORMATION. Specifically, information on the specifications and structure of an “IFO” file. There are many tags with no identifying comments. How are these interpreted? Mostly I was very disappointed with ifoedit. This program is fine for “looking” at the IFO information, even seeing a specific chapter/title but you can’t change a thing. Is there real editors that can actually edit the file or possibly construct an IFO from VOBs? Where do I go for information on IFOs???

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To toysys

"don't have the DVD anymore."

If, as you seem to be indicating, you've ripped a DVD that you don't own, I cannot/will not provide any additional information...

Comment

• toysys
                  Old Guy
                  • Sep 2002

The origional DVD was destroyed. The sun in Florida is fierce.
                  But, what’s that got to do with information on the IFO file format?

This is what I need:
                  "However, and more to the point, what I desperately need is INFORMATION. Specifically, information on the specifications and structure of an “IFO” file. There are many tags with no identifying comments. How are these interpreted? Mostly I was very disappointed with ifoedit. This program is fine for “looking” at the IFO information, even seeing a specific chapter/title but you can’t change a thing. Is there real editors that can actually edit the file or possibly construct an IFO from VOBs? Where do I go for information on IFOs???"

Comment

Working...