X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neverever
    • Dec 2002

problem openning divx5 in virtualdub

hi there all
    i have few avi files, captured from TV using ferro capture utility encoded with Divx5 and audio stay uncompressed as PCM. They all play fine on all media players i have (MP9, Zoomplayer, BSplayer etc) but do not open properly in VirtualDub (want to cut out commercials) AVIedit and AVIutil.
    In VirtualDub, after opening the file, when trying to play it, it reports 'Eror decompressing video frame XXX' this hapens also when jumping forward and trying to play the file again. In some cases it seems to start playing but the image get garbled with squares.
    When looking at file information in VirtualDub it reports the video codec do be REALmagic Mpeg-4. It has been coded with Divx5 so not sure if this is the root of the problem and why it is not using Divx5 or ffdshow for the decoding...
    What can be done to get these files cut? (need to fit them onto cds which can only be done without the commercials)
    I have also tried to strip/rebuild the index using Divfix but to no avail...
    pls help...
    michel
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

if it really was divx5 your file was recorded with, then maybe re-installing divx5 might help.
    Last edited by UncasMS; 10 May 2003, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• neverever
      • Dec 2002

if i remember the chain of events correctly (no guarantee) than i have recorded the programs with the divx 5.03 installed and have since than installed 5.05... (it still says realmagic mpeg-4 in virtualdub - not sure why or where have this codec came from)

again, it seems to play fine on every player but doesn't open in virtualdub etc... not sure what is the difference between virtualdub and players like zoomplayer that they behave so differently...

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

did you try re-installing divx5 or maybe installing tsunami 399

Comment

• neverever
          • Dec 2002

solution

after uninstalling and reinstalling divx 5 i finally found a solution...
          looking through the tsunami folder on my pc i found a utility called 'video codec swapper' where i could deactivate any codec - i deactivated REALmagic and tried virtualdub and presto it associated the files with divx5 codec and did what i asked it to do...
          thought i better post it in case anyone else has a similar problem...
          cheers all
          michel

Comment

Working...