Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alancharmed
    • Jan 2002

Nero????????

I have encoded a avi file to mpeg using v. dub, however when i burn onto vcd using nero, it encodes it all again, why? also when i playback on dvd the visuals stick and there is no audio whatsoever please help anyone?
  • abdul
    • Jan 2002

You are mixing up a few things, i think

You have to convert your avi with TMPEnc to mpg

This mpg-file you can use in Nero to make a vcd out of it

Far as i know Virtual Dub doesn't convert from avi to mpg (or you must have a secret version )
    You probebly mean: compressed it into MPEG-4 video code, which is still an avi.

Comment

• alancharmed
      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by abdul
      You are mixing up a few things, i think

You have to convert your avi with TMPEnc to mpg

This mpg-file you can use in Nero to make a vcd out of it

Far as i know Virtual Dub doesn't convert from avi to mpg (or you must have a secret version )
      You probebly mean: compressed it into MPEG-4 video code, which is still an avi.
      Cheers Abdul, I have finally sorted a few things out but are still doing something wrong, hope you have the time to help. I have now cut my film down using vdub, and converted to Mpeg using TMPGEnc. After burning then onto nero, i play back on the dvd standalon and after a while, the visuals freeze for a second and then when they return the audio is out of sync. I have been trying to do this for a solid weeke, trying different settings etc, and still no joy. I have a headache. Is there a site or instruction frrom begining to end, what i could follow from? With diagrams etc, so that i a complete idiot can follow it and eventually get my divx onto dvd. please please please help?

Comment

• abdul
        • Jan 2002

- First of all you need a good avi copy when you want to convert it
        You can check for bad frames with a modified version of VirtualDub (called VDub-mp3-freeze)

- Secondly you want sound that is sampled with 44.100Hz iso 48.000Hz

- The cutting of the avi i would do with Nandub iso Virtual Dub (Reason: too many people complain about out of sync audio after cutting with VDub)

- Use the latest TMPGEnc version and dont forget the plugin

- Load the correct template

_ (when you feel like it) In the template the only thing you have/can change is the "motion search position" -the choises speak for themself

- When you burn the mpg with Nero use a low as possible speed (i use 4 times, but i've heard 8 times still gives good result) NOT HIGHER

If you follw these easy hints (and some seem so obvious) there is nothing standing in the way between you and a very nice vcd

Comment

• dmlove
          • Jan 2002

Studio DV and Nero

This is another question Abdul since you seem so knowledgeable. I have captured video using my Panasonic digital camcorder and Studio DV firewire/software. Completed the editing process. Then, while still in Studio DV, I have "created" an "mpeg" movie, which does play in Windows Media Player on the same PC.

Next step, trying to burn a CD-RW (my Panasonic DVD player, the R30, does not play CD-Rs but does play CD-RS).

Opened Nero, pressed "New", then "VCD", then burn. It said it was burning (I did it at 4X which is the maximum speed on the particular CD-RW I was using) and that it was successful. When I put the CD in the drive and click on the drive letter, I get 5 folders - I forget but they're something like cti, mpegsav, and a few others (the same ones that appear on the upper left of the Nero screen above the window where you drag the file to be burned). BUT NOTHING OPENS.

I admit I did not try the CD in my Panasonic yet, but shouldn't it have worked in the CD player?
          dm love

Comment

• abdul
            • Jan 2002

Re: Studio DV and Nero

Originally posted by dmlove
            This is another question Abdul since you seem so knowledgeable.
            Thanks for the compliment, but i'm merely a "newbie' helper although there are quite a few around on this board who really know their stuff ................... so almost every question can be answered

Next step, trying to burn a CD-RW (my Panasonic DVD player, the R30, does not play CD-Rs but does play CD-RS).
            i do hope this works since (out of my recollection) i read that the dvd player ALSO has to support VCD
            When I put the CD in the drive and click on the drive letter, I get 5 folders - I forget but they're something like cti, mpegsav, and a few others (the same ones that appear on the upper left of the Nero screen above the window where you drag the file to be burned). BUT NOTHING OPENS.
            What you are looking for is the .dat -file
            Just open that one in WMPlayer and you should be able to see your movie
            (the .dat file is located in the Mpegav folder)

Comment

• dmlove
              • Jan 2002

Thanks Abdul. Do I need to open Windows Media Player separately, or should it open by itself. Also, do I need to create an association for .dat files (with Windows Media Player)?
              dm love

Comment

• abdul
                • Jan 2002

You open your WMPlayer

File ---> open .............browse to your mpegav folder

Media-player will show no files so in "filetype" select "all files" (*.*)

Now you should be able to see the .dat file

Just select this ---> open ---> hit OK and Mediaplayer will show your movie

It does not play automatically you have to open it yourself

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"Also, do I need to create an association for .dat files (with Windows Media Player)?"

I'd strongly suggest that you NOT do this, since there are many, many programs that use the .DAT extender as a "plain vanilla" indication of a data file.

Additionally, a quick way to get the movie running is to:

A) Start the Win Media Player

B) Under Explorer, open the directory that contains the ".DAT" file

C) "Drag and drop" the ".DAT" file onto the Media Player.

It will start to play.

Comment

• dmlove
                    • Jan 2002

Thanks for your replies - I'll try them tonight. I have a computer question, though - when you say I should NOT associate a .dat file with some program - how do things open if they are NOT associated - do you just associate them at the time, or by dragging and dropping as you suggested?
                    dm love

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"by dragging and dropping as you suggested?"

Yes.

Comment

• dmlove
                        • Jan 2002

Thank you both so much. Now some additional questions -

1. I tried a variety of things. First I burned the mpg video as a VCD on a CD-RW (because my settop DVD player does not play CDRs). It worked but the quality wasn't great and it jerked and froze. Is this the DVD player? Because it played well in the PC (using the WMP as you both suggested above).

2. I burned the same mpg video at 4x as a DataCD and played it successfully in Windows Media Player. Is there any advantage to burning it at a faster or slower rate (I have a 16X Lite-On burner).

3. When I loaded the VCD, WinDVD set-up popped up automatically. Is this because of an association with something? Or is it something Nero did, or I did?

4. Lastly, can I (and if so, how) burn more than one video or set of slides on the same CD, but at different times?

You've been great - I feel so successful!
                        dm love

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

I feel comfortable in saying, for both abdul (I'm sure abdul won't mind) and myself, our pleasure ;>}

"1. I tried a variety of things. First I burned the mpg video as a VCD on a CD-RW (because my settop DVD player does not play CDRs). It worked but the quality wasn't great and it jerked and froze. Is this the DVD player? Because it played well in the PC (using the WMP as you both suggested above)."

Two or three things to try: A fresh R/W CD, a FULL erase and re-burn of the first R/W CD, running a DVD/CD cleaner (Maxell sells one for about $10 U.S.) for about one minute in your standalone DVD player.

"2. I burned the same mpg video at 4x as a DataCD and played it successfully in Windows Media Player. Is there any advantage to burning it at a faster or slower rate (I have a 16X Lite-On burner)."

Unless you're doing nibble copying of a heavily protected CD, it shouldn't make any difference - unless, of course, your drive is "getting cranky" (e.g. - I, once upon a time, wound up burning at 1X out of necessity. the burner died shortly thereafter)

"3. When I loaded the VCD, WinDVD set-up popped up automatically. Is this because of an association with something? Or is it something Nero did, or I did?"

Good insight. If you look in your system tray, you'll probably see a circular icon with a solid triangle (pointing to the right) inside. This is the WinDVD "Cinema Manager". Right click on it and then click on "Options" - you'll see the possible associations for VCD and SVCD.

"4. Lastly, can I (and if so, how) burn more than one video or set of slides on the same CD, but at different times?"

Yes. VCD .DAT files are handled by DVD players in the same fashion as they handle music CD audio tracks. Each .DAT file is a separate "Track number". Depending on your player, the video "track" numbers may start with either "1" or "2".

Comment

• abdul
                            • Jan 2002

BOY ........we are good !

Comment

Working...