Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omeir
    • Nov 2001

TMPGEnc troubles..

I am trying to convert a .avi (DivX) to a .mpg so I can burn a VCD. When I browse to open the video file .avi in TMPGEnc I get an error message saying it cannot be opened. Somone told me I needed to download a Codec, so I did. Divx 4.0 w/ The Playa. It still doesn't work.

I can open another video file of mine in TMPGEnc, but it's not the one I want. I don't understand why it does this to one when they are both .avi files. One is not a DivX (the one that opens isn't) So is that the problem? Can someone help please.
  • synchron
    • Nov 2001

Could be you need to have the Divx 3.11 alpha installed. I've seen this happen to me and when installing that, it recognized it.

Comment

• meN@Ce
      • Dec 2001

I got the same problem, if u found the problem, would you plz tell me? I will do the same.

Comment

• argentophile
        • Dec 2001

An option

I have an AVI file that I couldn't open with any encoder/converter I tried--except one. It's called avi2vcd and the author's website is http://www.mnsi.net/~jschlic1

The error TMPGEnc was giving me was the filename followed by "can not open or not supported".

I'm a real novice, so I can't give better info about my glitch (the source's frame rate, etc.) to help figure out. Sorry.

Oddly enough, the resulting mpeg wouldn't go right through NTI CD Maker Pro to VCD, but after converting it AGAIN with TMPGEnc (opened it fine this time) was able to burn it. The output was blocky, but watchable.

Anybody else had any luck?

Comment

• meN@Ce
          • Dec 2001

I figured it out, I just installed the divx codecs v4.33 and all worked fine.

Comment

• smith17
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by meN@Ce
            I figured it out, I just installed the divx codecs v4.33 and all worked fine.

CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE TO GET THIS SOFTWARE BECAUSE I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

there is no such thing as version 4.33!

latest release is 4.11

Comment

• smith17
                • Dec 2001

tmpgenc problems PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tmpgenc downloaded and I also have nero. I am just new to this and I am trying to make a copy of an avi(divx) movie that I have so I can play it as a vcd. My problem is when I try to use tmpgenc it says it is an illegal stream format, or it is unsupported. This is the format of my file:VIDEO 704 x 384, 145300 Frames, 25.000 Frames/Sec, 123 KB/Sec, Unknown Format.AUDIO MPEG Layer-3,96 kBit/s, 48,000 Hz, Stereo. When I try to use nero the file is too big and I don't know how to cut it in half so I can fit it on 2 discs. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Comment

• synchron
                  • Nov 2001

From your description, it sounds like you need to uncompress the audio and make it constant bitratio. This would make a typical 700Mb Divx grow to near 2 G. The uncompressed audio is actually more data than the compressed video but it allows things to synch up in Tmpgenc.

Then, you need to either split each AVI or encode the entire file and split the mpg.

Good luck.

Comment

• smith17
                    • Dec 2001

how do you go about doing this?????

Comment

• synchron
                      • Nov 2001

I use the following:

decompress.exe (from the AVItoVCD tool that you can download here)

VirtualDub to split the AVI (always at a key frame).

Now you have 2 AVI's maybe around 900M each. The video is still in Divx compressed but the audio is in uncompressed PCM. You should be able to load each AVI in Tmpgenc and encode with no problems. For your specs, use either the VCD PAL template or the VCD PAL Film template depending on the original fps of the AVI.

I burn with Roxio Videopack but Nero should be fine.

Comment

Working...