Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aboros
    • May 2002

Splitting avi or mpeg files

I've seen this post a few times but I haven't found a solution yet.

I have a few avi and mpg files that are over 700 MB and I want to split them so I can burn them onto a cd. I have tried RZSPLIT and HJSPLIT but with both programs, the second file does not playback in Windows Media Player.

Does anyone know of a software that works properly?

Thanks,
    Aaron
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You can use VirtualDub to split the .AVI files and TMPGEnc to split the MPEG files...

Comment

• Mac Sidewinder
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Apr 2002

For the avi you can also try a prog called AviSplitCalc. It will let you determine the split by filesize or by movie time.

Mac

Comment

• aboros
        • May 2002

VirtuaDub

By using this program how do I compress an already compressed DIVX file? Is that recommended. Some movies I have are just barely over 700 M and I want to compress them so I can put them on 1 cd.

I've tried using the DIVX 5.0.2 codec as well as the Fast Motion codec and it doesn't do the trick, it ends up making the file larger than the original.

Any ideas?

Aaron

Comment

• Mac Sidewinder
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Apr 2002

First of all if you re-compress an already compressed avi, the quality will suffer. If you need to make the file slightly smaller, simply cut off the credits. Or you could extract the audio, resample at a lower bitrate, and mux it back again.

Mac

Comment

• aboros
            • May 2002

Cutting the credits is a good idea, though having them would of course be nice.

How do I remux the audio?

Thanks for the ideas.

Aaron

Comment

• tommy1092
              • Jun 2002

Please help splitting mpeg files

I have a problem that my 2nd-part splitted mpeg (using Tmpgenc tool )does NOT play sound at all. The 1st part is good, but somehow the 2nd part has no sound.
              If somebody successully split their mpeg files, please let us know how to achieve it.
              I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...