X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Furiousg
    If you have any poo....throw it now
    • Dec 2005

Rebuilder Target Sectors

I have looked around, but have been unable to find out exactly. I wanted to set my target sector setting to 2265000 as Blu has mentioned before.

Do I just add the line into Rebuilder Config.ini file?? Or is there already a command line for it that I have missed ?
    -FuriousG-

• cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Under section "Options" in the rebuilder.ini file:

Add this line

TargetSectors=2265000

Comment

• Furiousg
      • Dec 2005

Ok thats what I figured. I just didn't want to mess with it without being sure.
      Thank you Cynthia !
      -FuriousG-

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Just be aware that the value is more or less something you never learn how to set. For some movies that value will work - on others it will oversize the outputed files.

I'm using 2260500 - and I have only had one DVD that gotten oversized with that value. In most cases I end up with something around 4465-4475. (Using HCEnc)

Comment

• Furiousg
          • Dec 2005

So it may change the output depending on the source, keeping you continually guessing? I am assuming the smaller the Target Sectors number, the lower the output file size, correct?

I use primarily Procoder2, and the output has been very very close to limit, I just wanted to ensure I don't run into a sizing problem and have to redo any encodings.

**Actually, if I have encoded a film that comes out to be, for example, 4.8GB. Would it be recommended to run it Rebuilder again? Or would Shrink be sufficient to compress the remaining amount and not experience any negative effects?
          -FuriousG-

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

It'll never be that high. At most on that setting, you'd get 4.38 - 4.40Gb, in which case, Shrink is a quick and easy way to get it to size.

BTW: I have found HC works on the basis of Sectors * 1.013 (more or less) and Procoder 2 to be damn accurate in respect of sectors (i.e. 1.000) but others may have different views.

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Furiousg
              • Dec 2005

I haven't had one that large, I was simply asking a "what if"
              Thanks for the info though !

I will be trying the new targetsectors setting tonite. Wish me luck
              -FuriousG-

Comment

• techreactor
                Banned
                • Jul 2005

Just to share my experience in the 5-6 DVD's I have used this setting with. Never faced an oversize, its within the burning limit of the DVD.

Comment

• jdobbs
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2004

The value of 2265000 is too high. If the disc sizes perfectly with that setting it will be too big to fit on a DVD+-R.

I would also never recommend running shrink against the result. Contrary to what many think -- even small compressions with a transcoder can cause problems in the output. There are a lot more factors at work than the reduction percentage. It's kinda' like using a precision file to create a sculpture and then noticing it won't fit in the door, so you use a chainsaw to take off an additional inch.

But then... it's your disc, you can do whatever you want.

Perfect output size is the TargetSector value * 2048 * 1.015 (to cover pack and navpack overhead). The variations come from the encoder... as they never size perfectly.

But once again I will emphasize that you are better leaving the value at the default. You are taking the risk of using the historically flaky outer sections of the disc... and possible oversizing -- all for an amount of space that will not measurably improve the video...
                  Last edited by jdobbs; 16 Mar 2006, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• laserfan
                    • Mar 2005

Originally Posted by jdobbs
                    ...I will emphasize that you are better leaving the value at the default.
                    Yes Furiousg the first time you spend hours doing a backup and your burning program chokes on it, you will be furious indeed!

I tried to be a wiseguy once and upped the default a little, ended-up with a titleset that didn't quite fit. I was luckily able to overburn the disc a little, and it worked, but I set to default again and haven't looked back...

Comment

• Demvang
                      • Jan 2006

+R = 4483MB
                      -R = 4489MB

I set it to 2265000 and the final size using ProCoder is 4485MB (+ 1MB for burning => 4486MB), which is enough with DVD-R but not DVD+R

Comment

Working...