Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gillou
    • Apr 2005

Converting an .avi file + .srt file (Subtitles) into a DVD

I have an .avi file with the .srt subtitle file that I would like to convert to a DVD with working subtitles. Does anyone know the procedure?
    Thank you.
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Try ConvertXtoDVD(not freeware) or AVI2DVD(freeware).
    Last edited by paglamon; 26 Jan 2007, 02:50 AM.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Gillou
      • Apr 2005

Thanks for your answer Paglamon. ConvertXtoDVD did work but Im not happy about the video quality.
      Is there anyway of doing the same project using TMPGenc Plus + TMPGenc DVD Author? The video quality is better.
      Last edited by Gillou; 27 Jan 2007, 04:24 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

TMPGEnc dvd author doesn't support subtitles.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Gillou
          • Apr 2005

Can TMPGenc Plus create an mpg from an an .avi file with the .srt subtitle file....with the subtitles included on the mpg?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by Gillou
            Can TMPGenc Plus create an mpg from an an .avi file with the .srt subtitle file....with the subtitles included on the mpg?
            no, but you can convert the avi and add them later with other authoring tools such as dvd lab pro, ifoedit etc.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Gillou
              • Apr 2005

Thanks Columbo

Comment

• paglamon
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

Gillou,
                You have one more option.I tried this and it worked in my standalone.You can use TMPGEnc Plus to produce a DVD quality mpg(without subtitles).Then,put this mpg and the .srt sub file in the same folder (both MUST have the exact same names,as you would do for an avi and sub).Try playing this mpg in your player.If your player supports it,you will be able to see the mpg with the subs and also have the option to switch off the subs whenever you wish to.Please burn on a DVD-RW first.
                sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• amernassiri
                  • Feb 2007

Best AVI and Subtitle mixer

Dear friends

try to use "AVI DivX MPEG to DVD Converter & Burner Pro"

it converts any AVI or any other file format to DVD and it adds subtitle (.srt) to your vedio file directly (dont worry about name of sub and its location) ...

am adding my sub and burring any vedio file to DVD media using it
                  if u cant got it just let me informed

Regards

Comment

• eidolen
                    • Mar 2007

Thanks for your answer Paglamon. ConvertXtoDVD did work but Im not happy about the video quality.
                    Is there anyway of doing the same project using TMPGenc Plus + TMPGenc DVD Author? The video quality is better.
                    What version of tda are you using? Version 3 supports 2 subtitle streams and has a layout editor and time shifter to fix sync problems and such. I have never used the older versions so maybe you could upgrade if it's worth it to you.

Cheers,
                    Eidolen

(Supports .subtitle and .srt formats. Try subtitle workshop to convert if you have compatibility issues.)

Comment

• NightTran
                      King of Digital Video
                      King of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2005

Dvd flick should get it very easy, avi and srt sub
                      sigpic

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Hmmmmmmmmmm I dunno' why I didn't notice this question before but
                        you can do it if you have VobSub installed. If the .srt has the same base
                        filename as the .avi and is in the same folder, just convert it in TMPGEnc Plus.
                        You'll end up with an mpeg2 video file with hard subs.

If you use d2mp you can convert to hard or selectable subs.
                        It's freeware with AC3 support and very fast if you encode in 1 pass
                        using quenc.

Comment

• SecretSquirrel
                          • Sep 2007

I'd been trying to do the job using WinAvi vid converter but the subtitles option seemed to be unavailable.
                          My .srt file didn't have the same base file name as my avi like MilesAhead suggested. But everything's groovy now.

SS

Comment

• umberto21
                            • Feb 2008

BLanding the SRT into the video

I have just tested ConvertHQ premium, and it has this feature.

I had an AVI with the matching SRT file.
                            ( note that I had to fix the timing with http://www.effe-elle.it/srt/srtshifter.aspx )

I wanted to convert to DVD/mpeg2

In ConvertHQ you need either DirectVOB sub (codec: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/VobSub.htm ) or FFDShow (codec : http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm )

Once you have those, ConvertHQ shows the subtitle in the preview : that's what gets written as output. You select MPEG2 as output (click settings if you need to adjust), and START and voila!

of course it will create a movie that has the subtitle drawn inside and there is no way to remove it after that

Comment

• FaeGiN
                              • Jul 2007

I have seen so many people all over the net asking this same question so I will leave some details here on it. It is very simple to do!!

TMPGEnc 2.5 freeware, is great for putting .srt files hardcoded onto mpegs for DVD or VCD, SVCD, etc.
                              You just need to have Ffdshow installed so get that first. (It also works if you have vobsub but I haven't done it that way so I'll just tell the ffdshow method!).
                              Open the movie in your usual player...mplayer classic is good for this.
                              Now right click and select the filters option so that you can configure ffdshow for the movie that is playing.
                              If you have a different movie player then you can always get the ffdshow config via your startmenu instead...set up the subtitle playback in the ffdshow config options. (when the config opens up you have a lot of checkmarks on the left and settings on the right...click on the Subtitles on the left and then on the right of that is where you change the style and size and colour of the subs. Make sure your subs have loaded by pressing apply and closing it, then reopening your movie. If not then go back to the config box and in subs options select 'file' and locate the subtitles file. (You would never have to do this if you always make sure the subs file is named exactly the same as the movie file except for the extension obviously!)
                              So when you have messed around with the styles of the subs to what you want them to look like, making sure the subtitles box is ticked go oahead and APPLY in ffdshow and then close it. Close the movie. you should now try reopening the movie just to see if it now plays with the subs (do not have any other subtitle playback software running! You want to see if ffdshow is playing back the subs!)
                              Close movie and start up TMPGEnc 2.5. You just need to go into the options of it and go to the 'environmental Settings' then select the tab named 'VFAPI Plugin'. In this part you need to get the 'directshow Multimedia filereader to be at the TOP. You just right click over it and select HIGHER PRIORITY. do it again and again if needed until it is sitting at the top of the list.
                              Now you have set the program to include the subtitles when you encode your DVD with it./
                              Now go ahead and convert as normal.
                              (Note - this is a good method because at the first stage, in ffdshow you can set up the subs to be any style/size/colour you like!)
                              Sorry if this seems confusing, the setting up of ffdshow sounds confusing but I am just not so good at explaining it!
                              Basically you just need to have the srt file in the same folder as the movie with the same name like
                              mymovie.avi
                              and
                              mymovie.srt

Then you need to open it, make sure vobsub or any built in subs playback is disabled in your player and then go to the ffdshow playback options which is available via start menu if it isn't obvious in your player.
                              I think the rest is easy enough but feel free to ask me if you are stuck.
                              Last edited by FaeGiN; 10 Mar 2008, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...