Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikebres
    • Oct 2007

DVD Autorun?

I have successfully burned my first DVD with TmpGenc DVD Author 3. It works fine on my DVD player, but when I load it into the computer it won't autoplay. The computer opens the disk and displays the folders instead of offering me the choices. Looking at the files I don't see an autorun.inf file. Is the autorun file suposed to be there?
    How do I get the program to create the autorun file?

Confused
    Mike
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

why would you want an autorun on a movie/video?
    Your player software and your operating system take care of that action

I leave that stuff turned off because I want to decide which action to take when I insert the disk, it's safer in a lot of ways

I use 4 or 5 different video players anyway

you can go to folder options/file types and choose actions

Comment

• mikebres
      • Oct 2007

I would like to choose from the list of players also. However, I don't get presented with those choices on the PC. The dialog that shows the different players or the choice to open the folder doesn't open. Instead, it will automatically open the folder. Then I have to guess which video file to run to start the menu.

I new at this so I'm still trying to understand the right way to set up the DVD disk. So I don't know if i'm doing something wrong when I make the DVD.

Anyway I have checked the Autoplay tab under properties for the disk and it is set correctly to Prompt for the Autoplay action.

So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Mike

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

open my computer then tools folder options, try file types

there should be dvd video selection

under advanced see if you can associate it with your player

media player classic is not an installed program tho

Comment

• mikebres
          • Oct 2007

Chewy, thanks for the reply.

I checked the file asociataions and I have two possible actions. The default is to PLAY WM Player it looks like this
          "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:4 /deviceVD "%L"

The other is for VideoLAN
          C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe --started-from-file dvd:%1

However, these were already set this way. I'm really puzzled. I tried the DVD on my computer at work and it worked fine. The dialog opened, giving me a choice of what action I wanted to take. My home computer just won't do it. So something is not set correctly. I just need to find out what.

Thanks
          Mike

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

right click on your dvd drive in my computer and propewrties, auto play options and hit restore defaults/apply ok out?

wonder how it got set to explorer open files?

Comment

Working...