Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spininem
    • Feb 2009

Encoding .vob To .mp4 - Best Quality Settings

With TMPGEnc 4.0 Express, what would be the best quality settings when encoding from .vob to .mp4?

I'm a disc jockey and video jockey and don't want to use the .vob files as they eat more resources than the .mp4 files, plus I can save on hard drive space in going with .mp4. I don't want to lose much in the way of video and audio when converting however.

Starting at the first screen after loading the .vob file...I don't know what to select for "Clip settings"

Display mode: Interlace or Progressive
    Field order: Top field first or Bottom field first
    Aspect ratio: ?

If someone could provide screen captures for the settings....it would be most beneficial.

I forgot to point out that I'm a newbie with this encoding process and what it all means...so I'm just looking for the best settings that I can save as a default as I continue to convert all of my .vob files to .mp4.

Any help on settings is greatly appreciated.
  • stuckindosmode
    • Apr 2009

I would suggest renaming the vob's to mpeg's if they are multiple then use VOBMerge to combine.
    1. Then after selecting the file cut/edit the parts you don't want, then add filters depending on mpeg. Almost always you will need to deinterlace with deinterlace always and interpolation adjusted. Then crop the black bands out of the top and bottom, with the picture crop filter, to reduce encoding time and to make the edges cleaner. Then click on Picture resize filter and change lancos to bicubic. All of this can be done in SOURCE/EDIT/FILTERS.
    2. Then Format/Video to mp4 h264/avc. Video profile set to High. Level 5.1 and aspect ratio needs to match input. Framrate to at 29.97 progressive. Rate control mode to 2 pass VBR. I alway take my average bitrate up to 2500 and maximum to 5000 and i get a mp4 one half of mpeg but the same quality. Motion search range to 128 or higher.
    3. The only thing I change in AVC is Entropy coding mode from Cavlc to CABAC.
    4. Audio will already be set based on input. The only thing i change here is the bitrate to 224 kbps.
    I leave all other settings untouched, then encode. With these setting you can expect longer encode times so beware. I have a core I7 and it takes nearly two hours just to encode an 1.5 hour movie.
    Good luck. And sorry i don't know how to do screen shots.

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Hi Stockindosmode,

Pretty nice guide!

G!

Comment

Working...