Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hackindave
    • Feb 2003

Don't have a dvd burner so...

How can I convert a .avi/mpeg file over so that I can play it thru my DVD player? And how can I add the Dolby 5.1 (that my system supports).

In case you cannot tell..I am BRAND SPANKING NEW to the burning DVD scene..
  • thePest
    • Feb 2003

Hello "hackindave"

Your 1st chore is to see what your stand-alone supports? see players {click here}

The only way to support DD is by DVD source as of this writting. Being that SVCD can support 6 channels undefined. There is NO decoder for it as of the moment. VCD is just standard stereo. Which can be picked on to make Dolby surround work.

With a standard CDwriter these are the only 2 formats you can work with. There is 1 more that would be available, that has DD support. It's called a Mini DVD. But only a handful of players can play them. Not to mention they can only hold 15min 47sec. So that would take around 8cds to make a DVD.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask or visit

Download free video and audio software. Old versions, user reviews, version history, screenshots.

or this forum!!!
    A Pest can be anything, Water, Animal, pollution, even a plant. A junk yard dog getting into your Garbage can be a Pest!

Comment

• hackindave
      • Feb 2003

ok

So lets drop the DD support for now. The unit I have is a DVD/Radio/Audio CD/CD-R/CD-RW compatable player...

I just want to burn the videos so that I can watch them on my tv and not a 17" monitor...

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
        2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
        3) Click on "Setting" radio button
        4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
        5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
        6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
        7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - set "Motion Search Precision" to "Normal Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
        8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)"
        9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
        10) Press "Start"

(Or, instead of the steps 1)-10) above, you could attempt to use TMPGEnc's VCD "wizard"/template)

Note that if your video runs longer than 70-80 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Comment

• hackindave
          • Feb 2003

ok...

Thanks alot for all the help.... I will give this a shot and see what happens

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks alot for all the help.... I will give this a shot and see what happens"

My (Our) pleasure - Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• NDeh_is1
              • Oct 2002

Settings

Thanks for the settings info Setarip, I think I know where I've been going wrong with long faces in some of my vcds. Guess now I can get rid of some of the wide screens that I've had to make in the past to get rid of the long faces now I'll try those settings and see if I can get the full screen. Never really thought about those settings that you posted.

Comment

Working...