Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinealma
    • Mar 2003

Joining multiple avi files

I am new to this, so please be patient as i am hoping I am posting this in the right forum.
    I want to know is it possible to join 3 .avi files of the same video and audio quality into one file so that I may burn it onto a dvd disc?
    The files I am referring to are LOTR: The Two Towers. All 3 are of the same video and audio quality and were more than likely split into 3 files to ease the download burden especially on us poor dial up people.
    Will I have to convert the avi files to mpg format before I can join them back together? and if I can join them, how much audio/video quality can I expect to lose from doing the conversion and/or joining?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Will I have to convert the avi files to mpg format before I can join them back together?"

No

"and if I can join them, how much audio/video quality can I expect to lose from doing the conversion and/or joining?"

No

Assuming that your are correct in stating that the three videos are IDENTICAL regarding all video and audio properties, simply use VirtualDub as follows:

1) Load the first segment into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Append AVI segment" - and select the second file

3) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Append AVI segment" - and select the third file

4) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy"

5) Save with a new filename

Comment

• Vogues
      • Mar 2003

True But

VirtualDub will work fine but if the finished file is over 4 gigs your hard drive wont be able to handle it.

Comment

• Sinealma
        • Mar 2003

Re: Joining multiple avi files

I thank you both for your help, and yes. I am sure to within 99.999999 percent accuracy that both files are, from appearence and sound when played, of the same audio and video quality. I have played the partially downloaded files in the 3 players I have just to be sure.
        And judging from the total length of the 3 parts when they finally get fully downloaded, the complete file should come in under 4 gigs at about 3 or 3.6 gigs.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I thank you both for your help"

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Sinealma
            • Mar 2003

Re

Setarip, Your instructions worked perfectly. Thank you yet again.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Setarip, Your instructions worked perfectly. Thank you yet again."

Enjoy ;>}

Comment

Working...