Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BriansNSane
    • May 2005

VCD as a DVD

Any way possible to make a vcd with a dvd without having to convert?
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Not that I'm aware of. However, if you had an SVCD, you would be able to use "DVD Lab" as it accepts SVCDs directly for output to DVD.

Comment

• BriansNSane
      • May 2005

What I have is an anime series in avi format that i wanted to burn to a dvd as a vcd or svcd.I didnt wanna burn up alot of cd-r's so Ive been hunting down a way to make a vcddvd or svcddvd I guess you could say.just like a vcd but on a dvd.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"What I have is an anime series in avi format that i wanted to burn to a dvd"

Then try following this procedure:

1. Convert the AVI (DivX or Xvid)/mpeg file(s) to a DVD compliant mpeg-2 file(s) using "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEnc Plus". Use the DVD template (NTSC or PAL) form the "Project Wizard" to help you accomplish the task. If you have an mpeg file that is already DVD-compliant, then skip directly to step 2.

2. Then use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than "TMPGEnc") to author the newly created mpeg-2 into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB). As an alternative, you can use "DVDLab" to author as well.

3. If the combined filesize of the project exceeds 4.37 Gig, use "DVD Shrink" or similar transcoding program to compress.

4. Use "Nero" or similar burning program to burn onto a DVD (r, rw) disk

Comment

• BriansNSane
          • May 2005

so this is the only way? its impossible to make an svcd or vcd dvd without any type of converting?

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"so this is the only way?"

Oh by no means is this the "ONLY" way. There are a plethora of applications that can achieve similar results. However, the aforementioned method in my previous post is the method I've been using for years and I know it achieves solid results. Feel free to explore alternative procedures.

Comment

• BriansNSane
              • May 2005

I wasn't implying your choice of methods weren't efficient.I was just hoping there was a way I could achieve this by using one dvd and without converting and compressing. Ive read that the requirements of an svcd and vcd are all within the limits of a dvd with the exception of the audio bitrate.I'm wanting to strictly make a vcd or svcd with a dvd.it works so perfectly with a cdr.I dont see why I cant make it work with a dvd and a larger number of files instead of using 8 cdrs or possibly 4 dvds when I could make one uncompressed dvd.

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"I dont see why I cant make it work with a dvd and a larger number of files instead of using 8 cdrs or possibly 4 dvds"

Because a standard DVD Standalone player READS DVDs with a special file structure (e.g., IFO, BUP and VOB files in a folder named VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS [Empty]) which is NOT the structure of a VCD or SVCD. The procedure would require you to "Convert" the file structure of the VCD or SVCD if you use a DVD (r, rw) disk.

Comment

• BriansNSane
                  • May 2005

I gotcha.So the mere fact that a vcd/svcd is a cd and not a dvd is what makes the standard standalone dvd player read it differently than a dvd.In retrospect,I was doomed to fail my project from the get go I suppose. Maybe some day this will be able to be accomplished but for now all we can do is convert and compress.It would be nice if they made a 4.7gig cd-r =)

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"What I have is an anime series in avi format that i wanted to burn to a dvd"

If you have or purchase a standalone DVD player with MPEG-4 playback capability, such as the Philips DVP 642 (about $60US), you'll be able to place 6 or more typical .AVIs (700Mb each) DIRECTLY on a DVD, with no conversion, for playback...

Comment

• BriansNSane
                      • May 2005

really? Just burn it as if it were data?I would lack a menu this way though right or will i be able to press a number for the file to skip through them or will it play immediatly?

Comment

• reboot
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2004

When you burn avi's as data, to play in a player that CAN play DivX/XviD, you get a basic menu, based on the player. You cannot author an avi disk with your own menus (yet).
                        My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

The Philips DVP 642 generates (as mentioned in general terms by "reboot") a basic menu of the .AVIs that you can select amongst by using the standard DVD remote control "Up/Down/Left/Right" controls...

Comment

• BriansNSane
                            • May 2005

awesome!! Thank You Ormonde,Seta,and Reboot. I'm gonna invest in the player thats supports this.possibly the one youve mentioned.Ive seen you mention it to others as well so you must be won over by its qualty and abilities! =)

Comment

• ormonde
                              Digital Video Explorer
                              • Dec 2003

"awesome!! Thank You Ormonde,Seta,and Reboot."

Glad (We) could be of help

Comment

Working...