Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InspiredPirate
    • Dec 2002

Computer Freezing when encoding with TMPGEnc

I have been trying for about 10 days now to encode some ripped dvd's to mpeg. I have used smartripper to rip the discs, DVD2AVI to create my .d2v file, and finally TMPGEnc to attempt to encode a nice VCD.

My problem is about 1 hr or so into the process the system freezes and the only way to correct is to power off the system, I cannot get the close program dialog box to appear and the cursor is froze on-screen.

I have tried re-ripping the dvd, reprocessing the dvd2avi project. I also did a disk doctor scan and defragged my system. I have not had problems in the past like this. The only changes are updated releases of smartripper, dvd2avi, and TMPGEnc. I have three different versions of TMPGEnc all have the same problem. I also have done some Windows update downloads and installed a recent videocard driver from NVIDIA.

I have a p4 1.3 GHz and 256 MB RDRAM windows ME.....

ANYBODY have a clue as to the problem??

Please help it is driving me nuts.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"The only changes are updated releases of smartripper, dvd2avi, and TMPGEnc. I also have done some Windows update downloads and installed a recent videocard driver from NVIDIA."

Actually, that's a lot of changes, including some very siginificant ones. Hopefully you followed proper procedure by first uninstalling your old video driver before installing the update.

Be that as it may, I'd suggest that you try to isolate the problem by (one at a time) replacing the software that you usually use with alternatives - First try using DVD Decrypter instead of SmartRipper. Then, if necessary, try using Flask (or similar) instead of DVD2AVI...

(I'm guessing that your problem is more likely related to your O/S or video driver changes)

Comment

• pIEteRpOSt
      • Dec 2002

you should get rid of your windowsME. Many people have problems with it. It is the worst version of an OS microsoft has put out. I would recommend windows 2000 or (if you like all of that animated stuff) windowsXP.

That should solve almost all of your problems ( I think this is probably not the only problem you have with windowsME).

good luck !

Comment

• InspiredPirate
        • Dec 2002

Thanks for the advice. I have been and still am contemplating a OS change. I was not aware of the inability of a FAT32 file sys being unable to recognize a file larger than 2 G.... so that being the case I feel win 2K is a logical choice, the forced whatever Bill calls it for XP just rubs me the wrong way. Hell I even have a copy of Mandrake Linux sitting here maybe I can warm up to the penguins and try encoding some vid with that.

Once again thanks for the input, I have always had win ME and not had this problem so I am leaning toward the Nvidia driver as the culprit. But with a dvd burner sitting on the desk waiting to go into the system I need the ability to handle the larger files. so bye bye ME!

Comment

Working...