Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyrilsmith
    • Jan 2003

mpeg2 to mpeg1

Can any one help.I want to change a good quality mpeg2 back to a mpeg 1. I go into the mpeg tools on tmpgenc and de multiplex my file.when I go back the audio will go into the audio source but the video won't go to the video source.The video comes up un supported error. Any ideas.I'm new to this, so simple step by step if poss.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Use TMPGEnc as follows:

File>>MPEGTools>>Simple Multiplex

Load your MPEG2 (or MPEG2-SVCD) file

Change mode to "MPEG1" ("MPEG1-VideoCD")

Enter a new filename in the "Output" box

Press the "Run" radio button

(Do not be concerned about any "Buffer underflow" messages you may see)

Comment

• cyrilsmith
      • Jan 2003

tried mpeg tool multiplex

Thanks tried what you said but although file is slightly shorter it is not vcd compliant.I get a message saying 29fps and a svcd size of around 480 X 480. I need a pal standard vcd of 25fps or there abouts and is the res about 320 X 320 for pal mpeg one.I want to keep the file on hard drive.I tried another multiplex in the other mpeg tool multiplex tab but this was identical to the first in frame and resolution.I select mpeg1 vcd in the list. why when I demultiplex in mpeg won't the video portion be accepted in the main tmpgenc window under video source. This not supported bit confuses me when it's tmpgenc that did the demultiplex .

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"it is not vcd compliant."

That's simply a matter of using NERO to burn VCD - Select the VCD icon and then from under the VCD tab, UNchecking "Create standard compliant CD"...

"I get a message saying 29fps and a svcd size of around 480 X 480. I need a pal standard vcd of 25fps"

You didn't mention having to change framerates in your initial post. Are you certain that your standalone DVD player isn't capable of automatic compensation?

You might try gd_nimrod's suggestion in response to another recent posting here:

"You can extract the .mpg file by using VCDGear GUI, found here with a nice guide.

You can change the NTSC format into PAL format in TMPGenc."
        Last edited by setarip; 19 Jan 2003, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• cyrilsmith
          • Jan 2003

Thanks i'll give that a try. The file plays o.k as it stands in my dvd player but it's in svhs and it's four discs long. I was hoping to get it all onto three discs without losing too much quality.The original is very good so when it's reduced to mpeg1 hopefully this won't suffer a great deal. The size will make it easier to share. At the moment their four times 800mb.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"The file plays o.k as it stands in my dvd player but it's in svhs"

SVCD ? ;>}

Comment

• cyrilsmith
              • Jan 2003

no luck

O,k so you're a spell checker too. Tried Gear to no avail. I tried to do mpeg to mpeg . Dat to mpeg. All I get is a image of original file.As soon as I try to convert up comes a error mpeg pack file too large. I'll get nero to re encode to vcd.Can you write to a file instead of to a cd?

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Since the "quick and dirty" method didn't satisfy your needs, try the following "legitimate" method:

SVCD to VCD

Run TMPGEnc as follows:

File>>MPEGTools>>Simple DeMultiplex

Load your SVCD file. Press the "Run" radio button to automatically save your video and audio streams as separate video (.M2V) and audio files (either .MP2 or .MPA).

Close TMPGEnc (as a precautionary measure).

Start TMPGEnc.

On the main screen, press the "Settings" radio button (If it is 'greyed out", press the "Load" radio button and select "Unlock.mcf").

Select the "System" tab and select "MPEG1-VideoCD"

Select the "Advanced" tab. Set the resolution to "4:3 525 line (NTSC)" (or the PAL equivalent, if appropriate for your locale)

Set "Video Arrange method" to "Center (Custom size)" and enter the resolution of the original MPEG2

Select the "Video" tab. Set the "Size" to the same figures you entered under the "Advanced" tab.

Set the "Aspect ratio" to "4:3 525 line (NTSC)" (or the PAL equivalent, if appropriate for your locale)

Set the framerate to 23.976,24,25 (PAL), or 29.970 fps

Click on OK to get back to the main screen

Enter a new filename in the "Output" box

Click on the "Start" radio button

Since this will be the first attempt at this conversion, I STRONGLY suggest that after 3-5 minutes, you click on the "Stop" radio button and then answer "Yes" to "Abort now?". Minimize (DON'T exit) TMPGEnc. Doubleclick on the newly created short MPEG1-VCD version of your video. It should automatically start running under the Windows Media Player. If you notice a plethora of horizontal lines "jutting out" to the left and/or right (that weren't in your original video, do as follows:

Maximize TMPGEnc, click on the "Settings" radio button, and select the "Advanced" tab.

Put a checkmark in the box to the left of "Deinterlace"

Doubleclick on the word "Deinterlace".

Click on the down arrow to the right of the "Method" box and select the deinterlacing method you wish to apply (I prefer "Double (field adaptation)).

Make certain that there is a checkmark in the box to the left of "Enable filter". Click on OK (This will return you to the "Advanced" tab). Click on OK (This will return you to the main screen).

Click on the "Start" radio button and save the entire file. Likewise, if you didn't observe the horizontal lines in your 3-5 minute test, then simply click on the "Start" radio button and save the entire file.

Comment

Working...