Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • purejesterific
    • Feb 2003

TMPGEnc Freezes!

Hello everyone! I am new to this conversion to vcd thing, and I need some help from you guys. Well while I was encoding my avi movie to vcd, it seems to me that TMPGEnc always freezes on me. No matter what, one time I even got up to 98% and it would freeze. Is there any way I could get it so that it would work for me?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Are you possibly running out of hard drive space?

Comment

• purejesterific
      • Feb 2003

No I have plenty of hard drive space. But I still don't understand why it won't work.

Comment

• gd_nimrod
        • Nov 2002

Does the freezing occur with one specific movie or any movie you try to convert?

Also, make sure you aren't running tons of other applications in the background which would leave TMPGenc with no processing power...
        Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
        http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
        http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• purejesterific
          • Feb 2003

Well I've only tried one movie for my little cousin, but that was it. And like you said, I didn't run any programs, but just when it is about to finish, it freezes.

Comment

• gd_nimrod
            • Nov 2002

'but just when it is about to finish, it freezes."

Is it always at the same place that it freezes? If so, then there's probably a corrupt audio or video frame. Have you watched the whole movie to see if there is indeed a corrupt part?

When it was at 98%, assuming there are the ending credits, you could simply use the mpeg file which was created and just miss a bit of the ending credits.
            Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
            http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
            http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• purejesterific
              • Feb 2003

Well what I did was I used the source range to split the movie in half because it was slightly too large. When I watched the movie, it seemed to be alright. And when it freezes, it freezes the whole computer. The strange part about this is that when I check the mpeg movie, it says theres either only 0KB or 348mb with only 5 minutes of the movie.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Well what I did was I used the source range to split the movie in half because it was slightly too large."

Instead of using that procedure, try the following in TMPGEnc, after converting the ENTIRE video to MPEG1-VideoCD format:

Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Let us know of your success ;>}

(If the above procedure doesn't yield the desired results, try splitting the original .AVI in VirtualDub, before using TMPGEnc for the conversion...)

Comment

Working...