352x280/480x480?? Does it Make a difference if you encode a movie at a higher Res??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tunnlrat
    • Jun 2003

352x280/480x480?? Does it Make a difference if you encode a movie at a higher Res??

I have been looking around at diffenent movies files that I have made. Some from dvd's some from vhs. Is there any real point to encoding a movie higher than 352x280 or 480x480
    I know a standard vcd is 352x280 and a standard svcd is 480x480, and if you encode with a program such as TMPGEnc it will encode the movies to those sizes.
    Is there ever a reason to encode a movie to a higher res such as 704x480 or is that just a waste of time?? I have made a number of vcd's that I play on my stand alone dvd player I don't have a HDTV. All the vcd's that i have made up to this point were encoded at 704x480 until converted to Mpeg-1 with TMPGEnc.
    Is there a way to force a vcd to be made at higher res and if so, would it display properly on a regular tv or would I still need a HDTV???
    If in the end your movie has to be encoded to 353x280 for it to display properly as a vcd, then could picture quality be increased?
    Is there a standard size that a DVD is encoded at, and if so what is it?? and if it is higher than a vcd why must a vcd be done smaller??

Just some small questions from an interested Nerd
  • AMD2400
    • Jul 2003

That guide might help you out a little more. It actually gives screen shots comparing PAL vs. NTSC format. Also scroll down to the bottom and it will give you a video file comparison of different formats and the way they are encoded.

When I encode to vcd/svcd format, I use TMPGenc also. Under the Advanced tab, I change the aspect ratio to Full Screen (keep aspect ratio). I encode both widescreen and normal format and both turn out good on my Sony projection 42" tv.

"Is there a standard size that a DVD is encoded at, and if so what is it?? and if it is higher than a vcd why must a vcd be done smaller??"
    DVD is encoded at NTSC 720x480 and PAL 720x576
    The video bitrate of a dvd is 3000-8000 kbit/s which is much higher than a vcd which is 1150 kbit/s. Also dvd format has much higher kb/s audio bitrates.
    Last edited by AMD2400; 7 Jul 2003, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• andrewpk200
      • Mar 2003

one of the main reasons that DVDs can be encoded with higher resolution and audio/video bitrates is SIZE, the dvd has atleast 4 gig to play with, using the same space for VCDs would mean using at least 5 cds per movie,
      The Power of a Goldfish Should never be underestimated

Comment

• SatStorm
        • Jul 2003

With NTSC is capture the higher you can, filter and encode to a target format ~ 352 X 480 IF the source is from VHS, SVHS or analogue TV transmissions.
        If you convert from DVD, then higher than 352 x 480 actually has a difference.

So, it is about the source. For most uses, 352 x 480 is the best solution. With an average bitrate of 2300 is about 4 hours per DVD in good quality and with an average of 3000 it is about 3 hours per DVD with excellent quality!

If you use CD to burn to SVCD or better CVD, then use about 2000kb/s. This is about 50 min per disc and still the picture quality is good. Better use 2 pass vbr, but it takes more time that way!

With Pal, you don't need to capture high, you capture at the framesize of your target format, you filter and you encode. Same bitrate can be used for about the same results.
        Last edited by SatStorm; 21 Jul 2003, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...