• Jan 2002

SVCD to VCD

Is there a way to make a vcd from a svcd
    ?????
    help me please
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I will assume that you already know how to create a VCD from an MPEG1 file. Therefore, the only hurdle that you have to overcome is initially converting the "Aviseq01.mpg" file (which is basically an MPEG2 file with a special SVCD format header added to it) contained on your SVCD CD to an "ordinary" MPEG2 file.

Unfortunately my favorite MPEG-related tool, TMPGEnc, is not capable of this.

Thusfar, the only pure method (no further compression or temporary conversion to .AVI, etc.) I've discovered is to use DVDWise, a DVD authoring tool to successfully demultiplex and strip the header from the "Aviseq01.mpg" file. This will result in a separate video file (in MPEG2 format) and a separate audio file.

Convert the audio file to .WAV format (Use GoldWave, CoolEdit, or similar).

Then, under TMPGEnc, press the "Setting" radio button, click on the "System" tab, and change the mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (NOT simply "MPEG1")and click on "OK". Load the video file and the .WAV audio file. Select a new name to save your VCD-compliant MPEG1 file. Burn a VCD with NERO, Adaptec, etc.

Let us know of your success ;>}
    Last edited by setarip; 15 Jan 2002, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• johnalf
      • Jan 2002

thank you setarip for the help!!
      but i have got it now!
      im using the latest version of TMPEGnc
      and the mpeg2 plugin.
      With that you can convert .mpeg2 and .dat
      in svcd films
      and it works great.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Addendum

"With that you can convert .mpeg2 and .dat
        in svcd films"

Yes, but ONCE AGAIN, in response to your original question - TMPGEnc (including v.2.5xx) CANNOT handle a TRUE SVCD-format file (which is a MODIFIED MPEG2 file that has added header information) for input. Additionally, as far as I can tell, it also WON'T accept .DAT files for input.

If you believe I'm mistaken, please explain the steps you've taken to extract the file from a true SVCD CD and get any version of TMPGEnc to accept it as input (or a .DAT file for that matter).

I'm fairly certain that you've been using the terms "SVCD" and "MPEG2" interchangeably - and they are NOT. Doing so just creates confusion for posters - and particularly for those of us who may be trying to offer assistance.

Not angry, just a bit frustrated ;>}
        Last edited by setarip; 20 Jan 2002, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• johnalf
          • Jan 2002

Im very sorry if i did something wrong
          and made you frustrated!
          im new at this
          and was only thrying to help.
          sorry for asking stupid questions!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"sorry for asking stupid questions"

They aren't "stupid" questions. It's just rather difficult to answer a question about "mustard" and then find out you're actually asking about "mayonnaise" ;>}

By the way, since I'm always eager to learn new things, would you be good enough to respond to my earlier request:

"please explain the steps you've taken to extract the file from a true SVCD CD and get any version of TMPGEnc to accept it as input (or a .DAT file for that matter)."

Comment

Working...