• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vic_vega
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • May 2003

What compression to use...?

Ok, I have a bunch of files from a dvd that I want to make into a vcd, or svcd but now, I need to know what compression I should use to change them into .Avi while editing them together.... Should I use Xvid? It compresses stuff pretty small, but also, there goes alot of the quality of the movie.... so, I'm not sure which codec I should use.... I was going to use Xvid, but the quality isn't looking so good.

So What would you guys use to do compression for a vcd, or svcd?
  • vic_vega
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • May 2003

Wow, I just did a test file in Xvid, the video froze a second into it, but the audio kept playing, then i skipped alittle ahead in the video, and it just looked horrid.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

vcd or svcd do not have anything to do with an mpeg4 codec like xvid or divx

use dvd2svcd to transcode to vcd or svcd and forget about xvid for what you have in mind.

otherwise xvid does a very good job; thus your approach must have been wrong.
      Last edited by UncasMS; 11 Aug 2003, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• TomSenior
        • Aug 2003

downlaod the latest version of divx 5.0.5 from here that should sort out all your playback problems

Download free DivX Software to play, convert and cast video including DivX, AVI, MKV and HEVC files up to 4K. Play AVI and convert to MP4!

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Mar 2002

the ffdshow alpha filter should help sort out you playback problems.

Also your question has been answered previously in other posts. In the future you should search the forum for answers first, as it saves the time of forum members.
          MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
          Look here before posting questions

Comment

• TomSenior
            • Aug 2003

get filter from this link

Comment

Working...