X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poeloops
    • Oct 2003

VOB conversion (to MPEG / VCD / SVCD)

Hullo there,

I'm at a bit of a stand-still after doing some research on creating VCD/SVCD from a DVD.

I've been tempted by many programs which claim to work for me, but I'm hesitant to install many programs which may clutter up my computer.

My main objective is to convert the .VOB files on my hard drive to easily-editable MPEG 2 files. Essentially I would like to create VCDs/SVCDs from the MPEG 2 files.

So far I've done this:

1. Put a crappy program called DVDMagic on my computer which is supposed to convert the DVD to DIVX/VCD/SVCD. Well, it worked for the first DVD (Boys Don't Cry), but now it's giving me problems, so....I've...

2. Used DVD Decrypter to copy the files from a single DVD to my hard drive (C:\VIDEO_CS)

files as follows:
    video_ts.bup
    video_ts.ifo
    video_ts.vob
    vts_01_0.bup
    vts_01_0.ifo
    vts_01_0.vob
    vts_01_1.vob
    vts_01_2.vob
    vts_01_3.vob
    vts_01_4.vob
    vts_01_5.vob
    vts_02_0.bup
    vts_02_0.ifo
    ...etc...etc.

3. Have been successful in playing back the .VOB files EXCEPT VTS_01_1.VOB which gives me errors beyond belief, though it'll play back nicely if I use WinDVD. (by setting WinDVD to default to C:\VIDEO_CS)

4. Have also installed DVD2SVCD, which installed other various command line based programs.

so...with information so far, do you know if i'm in the right direction or could it be an impossibility to get this to work.

I've successfully made VCDs using the DVDMagic program, but I would like to have more control over details like video/audio quality. more importantly, i don't mind just having the MPG file to play with, and as long as i can edit it down to fit on a CDR/RW I'm happy with loading it in the external DVD player's little menu system.

Thanks so much!!!!
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Re: VOB conversion (to MPEG / VCD / SVCD)

Originally posted by poeloops
    My main objective is to convert the .VOB files on my hard drive to easily-editable MPEG 2 files. Essentially I would like to create VCDs/SVCDs from the MPEG 2 files
    Thanks so much!!!!
    1: use dvd decrypter in ifo mode set file splitting to none for ifo. 2: now use stream processing and select ur video and audio stream. this will give u seperate video and audio files [m2v & ac3], stream option should be demux.

2: now use simple multiplex from tmpgenc's mpeg tools, to get ur mpeg2 file.

ask again if dont get anything
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• kgb
      • Aug 2003

Wouldn't you be better with a decent program that reads .vob files and frameserves uncompresed .avi files?

Too bad most of the programs that do .avi 2 .mpg have a lot of problemos reading various frameserved files.

Comment

• poeloops
        • Oct 2003

kgb, and what suggestions do you have regarding 'a decent program'.

I'm not going to spend any money on programs until I'm sure this computer system will do the job effectively. So..if there's Shareware or Freeware or Beta programs available, I'll use them if I'm sure they're going to help me achieve the above mentioned.

Is TMPGENC/DVD Decrypter a bad choice?

I'm using DVD Decrypter right now using atifsh's advice and it seems to be doing a great job of creating two separate files for audio/video! Thanks!

Comment

• kgb
          • Aug 2003

I was hopeing for someone else to say what programs can frameserve .vob files to .avi so we can open them in any mpeg video program.

Yes, DVD2AVI + TMPGEnc works fine. TMPGEnc is good, but i want more solutions.
          There are many mpeg1 encoders for free. All of them open .avi files but not all of them open .avs or .vdr files even if you change the extension to .avi
          There is a tutorial on DVD conversion 2 VCD with VirtualDub and LSX-Encoder, but i gues i dont get it :/
          VDub can't open .vob files + LSX can't open .vdr files

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

Originally posted by kgb

VDub can't open .vob files + LSX can't open .vdr files
            get virtual dub mod to open vob files.

Originally posted by kgb
            I was hopeing for someone else to say what programs can frameserve .vob files to .avi so we can open them in any mpeg video program.

Yes, DVD2AVI + TMPGEnc works fine. TMPGEnc is good, but i want more solutions.
            There are many mpeg1 encoders for free. All of them open .avi files but not all of them open .avs or .vdr files even if you change the extension to .avi
            There is a tutorial on DVD conversion 2 VCD with VirtualDub and LSX-Encoder, but i gues i dont get it :/
            what ur doing is confusing other ppl who have ask their questions. if u wanna ask something start ur own thread.
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• damo
              • Oct 2003

Pardon me, but why to avi ? Would'nt you want to do covert to mpeg2. That way it's universal to most mediums eg. dvd players and PC's.

Just interested to know, that's all

Comment

• kgb
                • Aug 2003

from atifsh

"get virtual dub mod to open vob files."

With pleasure.

"what ur doing is confusing other ppl who have ask their questions. if u wanna ask something start ur own thread."

You are right. sorry.

Comment

• kgb
                  • Aug 2003

from damo

"Pardon me, but why to avi ? Would'nt you want to do covert to mpeg2. That way it's universal to most mediums eg. dvd players and PC's.

Just interested to know, that's all"

All mpeg encoders i know off, let you encode .avi 2 .mpg not .vob 2 .mpg

Comment

Working...