X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whatever
    • Nov 2003

problems re-encoding

Hi All,

I've got a problem MPEg which, when played on my PC works fine, but when I am trying to re-encode it with TMPEG gives me problems.

It seems that TMPEG gets confused about the number of frames and sees it as only 15 minutes long when it is really about 45 mins.

Is there some software out there that can fix up this sort of problem? I guess it is a problem with the metadata that describes the mpg rather than the mpg itself.

Please Help.
  • whatever
    • Nov 2003

Further info:

I have just found and tried MPEG-Corrector, which, when run outputs a complete mpg file which I can successfully play with WMP, but TMPEG says is invalid.

More info on how the problem with this particular file manifests inself:
    If I open the problem file in TMPEG and go to the Setting --> Advanced tab and select and double click on source range. Then I click in the progress bar area and start moving though the mpeg frame-by-frame. When I get to frame # 265 if I then reverse 1 frame I the frame display says 264, but the displayed frame is in fact something more like 3000. This is very strange

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

try gettin cyberlink powerdirector trial version and load ur mpeg and do ur work, see what happens.
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• whatever
        • Nov 2003

I re-enconded this by frameserving the original mpeg with virtualdub and it played the whole file without any problems. In fact it identified what the problems were, but since it was just playing frame by frame just like a player it didn't care about the metadata.

I frame-served the corrupt file into TMPEG and the resltant file was perfect.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Sounds like you've got a composite file - that was improperly joined. Try using TMPGEnc as follows:

TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut

Load file - Set mode to the appropriate MPEG setting

Save with a new filename...

or, if that doesn't resolve the situation

Load file - Set mode to the appropriate MPEG setting

Cut and save the first part (through the frame where the numbering goes awry) as "FILE1.mpg"

Cut and save the remainder as "FILE2.mpg"

Then (cautionary) Exit TMPGEnc and restart TMPGEnc

Load "FILE1.mpg"

Load "FILE2.mpg"

Save as "FILE1and2.mpg"
          Last edited by setarip; 16 Dec 2003, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...