No sound when trying to encode VCD from avi-file.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobbo
    • Jan 2002

No sound when trying to encode VCD from avi-file.

I have downloaded TMPGEnc latest version. And when I try to make a vcd from avi-file the vcd (mpg-file) gets no sound. I'm new to this, can someone help me!?

//bobbo
  • abdul
    • Jan 2002

Let me guess ...................... your sound is sampled with 48.00Hz iso 44.100Hz

If not please post a much info as you can
    the least we need are the properties of both sound and audio

Comment

• bobbo
      • Jan 2002

This is what I can come up with.

Can I somehow get more info about the moviefile?
      Attached Files

Comment

• abdul
        • Jan 2002

Re: This is what I can come up with.

Originally posted by bobbo
        Can I somehow get more info about the moviefile?
        Load your avi in Virtual Dub
        then
        file ---> file information

I'm still interested in 48.000Hz sampling rate or not and could not see that info on your screenshot

Comment

• bobbo
          • Jan 2002

Lets have a new try!

This is the info i get from VirtualDub.
          Attached Files

Comment

• abdul
            • Jan 2002

What you need to do is downsample your audio

In VDub
            video ---> direct stream copy
            audio ---> full processing mode
            Audio ---> convert ---> 44.100Hz (and check the "high quality" box)
            Audio ---> compression ---> check "uncompressed"

file ---> save Wav as ...

Now you will have a HUGE wav file (because of the uncompressed audio)

Open TMPGEnc
            video source ---> your movie
            audio source ---> the gigantic wav file
            output file name ....
            Load ---> your template
            Hit start

Break of the econding after about 2 minutes or so and load this mpg file in your player and see whether or not you have sound

YES--------------> encode the whole file And tell us that this worked)
            NO ---------------> come back and we will find another thing to do

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To BOTH bobbo and abdul

I was so intrigued by these posts that I just finished creating and burning a VCD with 48,000Hz audio (at 224Kbps). It plays perfectly (audio and video) both on a PC and on a standalone DVD player. Therefore, I don't think the 48,000Hz is the problem.

Perhaps you, bobbo, inadvertently selected "Video only" when creating the MPEG1-VideoCD file.

By the way, abdul, you can far more simply change the audio rate from within TMPGEnc: Click on the "Setting" radio button, then clcik on the "Audio" tab and simply change the sampling rate ;>}
              Last edited by setarip; 28 Jan 2002, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• abdul
                • Jan 2002

You know that i'm always looking foreward to learn something new, but this little experiment of yours leaves me only more confused.

I wouldn't suggest this changing of samplerate if i didn't found out the hard way that it took care of a problem (and besides i don't like to give advise that isn't of any use -that would be a wast of everbodys time)

But now that you have proven that the samplingrate is of no factor (and of course i'm hardheaded enough to also check it -and you're right ) it leaves me wondering why it did solve the problem in another case
                And i'm not the only one i might add, i've read numerous times that people were helped by changing the samplerate.

By the way, abdul, you can far more simply change the audio rate from within TMPGEnc: Click on the "Setting" radio button, then clcik on the "Audio" tab and simply change the sampling rate ;>}
                There isn't any use for this now is there, because in my little experiment i:
                Load an avi with 48.00Hz into TMPGEnc
                Load the template VideoCD [PAL].mcf

And when i load the mpg into VDub and look at file info it says that the audio is sampled with 44kHz so this means TMPGEnc has automatically converted it

In conclusion: bobbo's problem isn't solved and i'm a desillusion richer
                But it still leaves me with the quetion WHY in some cases it helps to convert to 44.100Hz first (even when TMPGEnc does it automatically)
                and futher more :
                "What is the (dis)advantage of a 48.000Hz samplingrate over a 44.100Hz samplingrate"

Comment

• bobbo
                  • Jan 2002

Abdul: Your soution works perfectly!

The solution Abdul came up with works perfectly! I havn´t tried any other sugestions but i´ll stick to this one!
                  My movies still wount get any sound if I dont make a separate audiofile!

//BoBBo

Comment

• abdul
                    • Jan 2002

I'm glad it did Bobbo, one less problem, glad i could help

Now for my conception:
                    It is getting stanger all the time

You know i did what Setarip also did and successfully loaded a 48.000Hz into TMPGEnc and it worked
                    (to be honest this was a version i did some fiddling on -i added subtitles to the movie- and don't know what else i changed in the proces -not the samplingrate)

But now after bobbo's reply i went futher and took the original avi (the one without subtitles) and also tried to do the same

Suprise ..........................

Then i unlocked the template and changed 44.100 into 48.000Hz and then it will work

So i don't know why the first time (2 posts back) it DID work, but i'm kind of glad that the 48.000Hz is giving problems (in the standard templates that is), so i can keep on giving this advise

The sad part is that is don't understand the WHY of this all and i'm kind of anxious to know why TMPGEnc does what is does and when.

"knowing" you, Setarip, through all your posts, this must also be eating you; so if you have any good explainations, or plausible ones , feel free to enlighten me.
                    Last edited by abdul; 28 Jan 2002, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Unfortunately, for this situation, I have no additional insight to offer - primarily because I don't use the templates when using TMPGEnc. Therefore, when I created a 48,000 audio rate VCD, the rate remains at 48,000 for the finished VCD (no automatic conversion to 44,100, that you indicated occurs when using the template).

Comment

• abdul
                        • Jan 2002

too bad, but life wouldn't be fun without at least a FEW mysteries to solve

Can you at least tell me the (dis)advantage of 48.000Hz over 44.100Hz

Or is it because you rip them at 48.000Hz (which is maybe a better quality??)

I'm sure you know something about this

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

The only disadvantage that I've seen, is that some standalone players, while handling DVDs with 48K sound, have problems handling VCDs with that sound format - some won't play them at all, while others "stutter and stammer"...

Comment

• abdul
                            • Jan 2002

Thanks for the clearing this up for me setarip, always a pleasure to read your answers

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

The feeling is mutual ;>}

Comment

Working...