Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NBAJ2K
    • Jan 2003

SVCD too big?

There are two BIN and cue files that I have that I know are cut right as they are labled SVCD CD1 and SVCD CD2. I try to go into Nero and burn them, it looks like they are each just a LITTLE too big, and it will say compilation is too large for the media, even though I'm using 80 minute CDs. They are each like 1 mb or 2 mb over it looks like.

Now I know that they are cut right as they are labled SVCD CD1 and SVCD CD2. This has happened to me on a few different occasions. I really wanted to burn it so I can play them in my DVD player for my TV that supports SVCDs. Is there anything I'm missing here?

I really hope there is, so that I can easily do something to burn them. If not, is there a way to cut them? Id much rather just burn them somehow the way they are.

Thanks,

J
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

I really hope there is, so that I can easily do something to burn them. If not, is there a way to cut them? Id much rather just burn them somehow the way they are.

You could use the "Merge and Cut" feature in TMPGENc under "Mpeg Tools".

Also, one of the really nice things about Nero is it's ability to make a "Mini DVD". This is regular DVD file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB), that will fit on a 650 or 700 mg CD (r, rw) disk. it's a great feature if you have video that’s an hour or less in length. if you have mpeg 2 "DVD compliant" files already, you can author the files into a DVD file structure. If the file size is beyond 650 or 700 mg, use DVDShrink to compress it, and burn a "Mini DVD" in Nero. If your standalone supports CD (r, rw) media, as yours appears to, it should be fine.

Comment

• NBAJ2K
      • Jan 2003

Ok i really know nothing about this MiniDVD feature of Nero. I have an MPG file where would I go in the program to add in the MPG file to do whatever with it. I got to the miniDVD part but not sure where to go. I see an Audio_TS and Video_TS directory. If it is too big, where is this DVDShrink thing you mention of. Is it a different program?

Just not sure what I'm doing here. I have the two MPG files that both I cant put on an SVCD right now because when I try to burn the BIN file it says its too big for the CD.

Can ya help me out?

Thank you very much,

~J

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I have an MPG file where would I go in the program to add in the MPG file to do whatever with it."

First, you have to "Author" the mpeg into a DVD file structure. You need to do that in an authoring program. Does you Nero 6 package include another program called NeroVison? This can take care of authoring. If not, there is a program called "TMPGENc DVD Author"–different from the regular TMPGENc. It is fully functional for 30 days.

"where is this DVDShrink thing you mention of. Is it a different program?"

Yes, go to the follow

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"I have an MPG file where would I go in the program to add in the MPG file to do whatever with it."

First, you have to "Author" the mpeg into a DVD file structure. You need to do that in an authoring program. Does you Nero 6 package include another program called NeroVison? This can take care of authoring. If not, there is a program called "TMPGENc DVD Author"–different from the regular TMPGENc. It is fully functional for 30 days.

"where is this DVDShrink thing you mention of. Is it a different program?"

Yes, go to the following link:

Comment

• NBAJ2K
            • Jan 2003

I got that TMPEG DVD Authoring program. I hope I'm doing this right, but I'm getting an error so I'm probably doing something wrong. I use CloneCD to create a virtual drive to open the BIN file and am taking the MPG file out of the MPEG2 Directory and copied it to my harddrive. I did this for both the SVCDS. They are still playable and all just with that file on my computer since I have an SVCD codec installed.

I then go into the TMPEG DVD Authoring program. I go to source setup and add in the MPG file of the first SVCD. I have the output set to create a DVD folder and have it saving it on my harddrive. It tries to start and I get an error message of "The video resolution of 480x576 cannot be used for a standard DVD. Use one of the standard DVD resolutions:
            NTSC: 352x240 352x480 704x480 720x480
            PAL: 352:288 252x576 704x576 720x576

I guess that means somehow I have to change the resolution, is there a way to do that?

Sorry for all the questions, I really wish this was easier. Like I said before, I got this as 2 SVCD CD BIN files that I was pretty sure were precut to fit on CDs. It seems that way as its like Nero adds like an extra 1mb or somethin for them to go over as they both JUST miss making a CD.

~J

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"I guess that means somehow I have to change the resolution, is there a way to do that?"

Yes. Use the "Regular" TMPGENc (not DVD Author)

Under "File" use the "Project Wizard" menu and choose the DVD Template (either NTSC or PAL). Also, make sure you have "System video and audio" selected and load your mpeg to re-encode. After it is done (could take some time), you should have a DVD compliant mpeg that "TMPGENc DVD Author" will accept.

Comment

• NBAJ2K
                • Jan 2003

i thought that was it. when i got into it and tried to load the file in, it says its unsupported and cant open. it will see it in the merge and cut tool, although it doesn't seem like it merges it correctly as the 2nd half wont play its just still picture when i fast forward it.

i don't know whats goin on do you have AIM by chance?

~J

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"it will see it in the merge and cut tool, although it doesn't seem like it merges it correctly as the 2nd half wont play its just still picture when i fast forward it."

Select the Merge & cut option tab and then the MPEG stream type from the drop down box. You can now add files by clicking ADD and browsing to you files. Add as many files as required, then enter an output filename. Finally click Run to merge files to together. TMPGenc will then create and re-encode your video.

To cut a file into several smaller files, the same option as above is used. If you want to divide your movie into several downloadable chunks or ensure your movie fits on a CD, its worth noting the file size of your video; that way you can estimate how many "chunks" are needed to enable file sizes of say approximately 1MB or fit on X number of VCDs. Then divide the length or your movie by the numberof chunks to get an idea of how long each clip must be. Browse to your desired MPEG file by clicking the ADD button. Now highlight the first file in the list and click EDIT. This will bring up a new dialogue box with a preview of your clip. Move the progress bar to where you want your first clip to start and click the point in button.

Comment

• pieroxy
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Nov 2003

If you have an SVCD file, you will loose quality if you re-encode it as a DVD. If you keep the same bitrate (ie: you want the movie on two CDs not more), you will loose A LOT of quality. I would suggest a few solutions for your problem:

1. Try to overburn your CD. Overburn should work on every brand if it is only one or two megs...
                    2. Try another brand of CD-R. Different brands have different capacity, it could vary by 1 or two megs.
                    3. If you really can't make it fit on a CD-R, download a program called "ReMPEG2" to trim down your MPEG file. It will keep the quality at an excellent level if you use it to trim just a few megs from your MPEG files.
                    4. Cut the extra few seconds of your MPEG. Use the MPEG tools in TMPGEnc (Cut/Merge) to cut a few seconds off of your two files. Usually, CD1 and CD2 have some overlap, so you shouldn't miss anything between the two. That'll cut the last few seconds of disc 2 though, but it should be the end credits, so no big deal.

Keep in mind that the MPEG file should be 800MB or less to fit on a 80 min CD.
                    "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• NBAJ2K
                      • Jan 2003

Is there a good brand to try?

I'm using Samsung 700mb 80 minute.

It should fit.

~J

Comment

• pieroxy
                        Platinum Member
                        Platinum Member
                        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by NBAJ2K
                        Is there a good brand to try?

I'm using Samsung 700mb 80 minute.
                        I don't really know. I have noticed that traxdata, TDK, maxell, BASF CD-R all have different capacity, like 700MB, 702MB, 699MB... Not much but might be enough for you...
                        "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Sep 2003

plays on puter

Originally Posted by ormonde

You could use the "Merge and Cut" feature in TMPGENc under "Mpeg Tools".

Also, one of the really nice things about Nero is it's ability to make a "Mini DVD". This is regular DVD file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB), that will fit on a 650 or 700 mg CD (r, rw) disk. it's a great feature if you have video that’s an hour or less in length. if you have mpeg 2 "DVD compliant" files already, you can author the files into a DVD file structure. If the file size is beyond 650 or 700 mg, use DVDShrink to compress it, and burn a "Mini DVD" in Nero. If your standalone supports CD (r, rw) media, as yours appears to, it should be fine.

hi ok i got my movie burned with this process, using nero and it plays on my puter, but not on my standalone dvd player. is there something i can do to make it playable on my standalone player?..thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

• pieroxy
                            Platinum Member
                            Platinum Member
                            • Nov 2003

What's your DVD player ? Make/Model ?

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Sep 2003

player-phillips642

thats my player..plays all...love it for the divx...as for my problem..i fixed it with iso , and made a avi out of it,,,but thanx for ur help folks...

Comment

Working...