Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hjonesfw
    • Feb 2004

AVI -->> MPG ?? How ?? what tool?

I am using an Archos AV340, capturing video clips from tv. Would like to burn these AVI files to DVD. I am new at this, have been looking through the fourms. Problem is, I've tried freeware, TMPGE, to encode the AVI to MPG, but the utility can't open the file. It responds "Filename.AVI can not open, or unsupported." I also purchased a InterVideo DVD Copy product, with the same results. I am sure the Archos is creating valid AVI files, they play fine on the Archos player. any suggestions. I think I need a encoder? but is there an encoded which understands AVI to MPG?
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

d/l Avicodec or Gspot and open your file in one of these programs and it will give you the info of the file and if the proper codec is installed
    ps I prefer Avicodec over Gspot IMO

Comment

• hjonesfw
      • Feb 2004

Thanks!

thanks tigerman!!! identified the missing codec and i'm able to do conversion, now on to how to burn to dvd. yea, i'm new at this. thx again!

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

you're welcome.
        check on this site and on www.dvdrhelp.com for guides.
        I use Mainconcept or TMPGenc to convert to compliant mpeg1/2
        TMPGenc DVD Author to load the file/s to create menu and necessary dvd files, IFO, BUP, VOB
        Burn with your software of choice, I use nero

Comment

• armaha
          • Nov 2003

I had similar problem, I changed Avi's 4CC code from DX50 to Divx using Xvid codec. After that TMPGenc was able to open my avi file.

Comment

Working...