Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idiotsavant
    • Feb 2004

VOB to VCD

I'd like to go directly from VOB to VCD.
    I've searched through this forum and I've seen advice from one expert (setarip?) who said to first convert to AVI via Flask, then to use VirtualDub to convert to a revised AVI, and then finally to use TMPGenc to convert to VCD.
    Is there any reason not to use Flask for the whole process and just configure the output using the BBMPEG encoder? Using Flask directly would take about 4.5 hours to convert a movie of 1.5 hours in length on my machine. Before I follow setarip's advice, which would take maybe 12 - 14 hours, I wanted to know if I'll get better results using the "longer" method. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by idiotsavant; 19 Feb 2004, 05:46 PM.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"I wanted to know if I'll get better results using the "longer" method."

TMPGENc should accept VOB files directly. Use the VCD template (NTSC or PAL) from the "Project Wizard" page. If the wizard does not come up automatically when you launch TMPGENc, then go to "File" > "Project Wizard".

Comment

• idiotsavant
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ormonde
      "I wanted to know if I'll get better results using the "longer" method."

TMPGENc should accept VOB files directly. Use the VCD template (NTSC or PAL) from the "Project Wizard" page. If the wizard does not come up automatically when you launch TMPGENc, then go to "File" > "Project Wizard".
      Thanks for your reply. I know that one can go from VOB directly to VCD. My point was that the expert (setarip) seemed to know what he was talking about and I wanted to understand why he felt that the "longer" process was the way to go.

I am still hoping to continue this thread to better understand the best method for getting high quality VCD results.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

My posting was captioned, "From Ripping through VCD (by me)" - and was structured to show how to create BOTH .AVIs and (subsequently) VCDs.

If you don't intend to have an .AVI, there is nothing to be gained by creating one...

Comment

• decryptit
          • Jan 2004

I'm trying TMGENC to convert vob's to svcd but each time i try
          to select the files it does only select one at a time.How can i select them all at once.
          Total Number Of Views
          Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"How can i select them all at once."

Use DVD2AVI and save your VOB as a "Project File" (.d2v). Make sure to demux the audio as a "WAV" file. (Select "Audio" > "Output Method" > "Decode to WAV"). Then, go back to “File” > “Save Project” (F4). Then, go back to TMPGENc and load the ".d2v" project file, and the separate WAV file and use the SVCD template to encode as mpeg 2.

Comment

• decryptit
              • Jan 2004

I'll try it that way.
              Total Number Of Views
              Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• decryptit
                • Jan 2004

But is there a better program than tmgenc.
                Total Number Of Views
                Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"But is there a better program than tmgenc."

There may be, but this is the method that I'm most familiar with.

Comment

• decryptit
                    • Jan 2004

ok
                    Total Number Of Views
                    Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• idiotsavant
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by setarip
                      My posting was captioned, "From Ripping through VCD (by me)" - and was structured to show how to create BOTH .AVIs and (subsequently) VCDs.

If you don't intend to have an .AVI, there is nothing to be gained by creating one...
                      Thank you, setarip. That clears that one up! It's interesting but I tried what I thought was your method for high quality VCD on a 2-minute clip and it seemed to give better results than when I tried a direct VOB to VCD conversion. Thanks for you help.

Comment

Working...