• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fook Yu
    Shoe-shinner
    • Jan 2004

AVI TO DVD AND KEEPING 2.35 ratio

Hi to all experts out there,

I'm having a small problem which i just can't figure out. Maybe you can help.

I'm having a avi which i would like to convert to a format that will play on all dvd players. I did some research on the forum and tmpgenc and tmpgenc dvd autor are the tools that everybody refers to. So i downloaded the software and started converting the avi to vob.

My problem is that my avi has a 2.35:1 ratio (i would like to avoid cropping the video) and autor only seems to accept 16:9 for PAL systems (i need PAL). Now how do i keep this ratio and still convert the avi to vob without disforming the video??? Which settings do i have to use. If you could help me out on this one it would be great. I have tried a lot of settings and searching on the web but haven't found the answer yet.

Thanks in advance,

Troubled soul.
    -------------------------
    Not active user anymore
  • decryptit
    • Jan 2004

What ratio would you like to keep.
    Total Number Of Views
    Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• Fook Yu
      Shoe-shinner
      • Jan 2004

The 2.35:1
      The problem is that Author will only accept a 16:9 PAL ratio svcd file. If i make a 2.35:1 file in TMPEG, Author refuses converting it to VOB because it's not a standard PAL format (freely translated).

Now i found the following part in guide on the web:
      [ http://www.doom9.org/mpg/avi2dvdr.htm ]
      "Now for PAL it's a tad bit more complicated as for a 4:3 PAL displays the actual resolution during playback is 768x576 (576 x 4 / 3 = 768). So, we have to make sure that the movie looks okay at that resolution. To spare you the calculations for an 1:2.35 movie this means that the vertical part of the picture has to take up 326 pixels, for an 1:1.85 movie the vertical part has to be 416 pixels, and for a 1:1.33 movie the vertical part has to take up the whole 576 horizontal lines. In practical terms this means that you resize an 1:2.35 movie to 720x326 and add (576 - 326 / 2 = 125 black lines on top and bottom of the picture), for an 1:1.85 movie you resize to 720x416 and add 80 pixels on each side, and for an 1:1.33 movie you resize to 720x576 and add 0 pixels."

But when you rip a dvd in format 2.35:1 it doesn't have the black parts. So i figured it must be possible to create a vob files in format 2.35:1 without having to add black parts so it suits the 16:9 PAL ratio. But until now if haven't got it to work.

Sorry if i express myself a bit fage but english is not my native tung, hope you can bear with me. Maybe its not worth all the effort and i should fire up my virtualdub and get it over with.........but if there is a otherway i would preffer it.

Ciao
      Not active user anymore

Comment

• decryptit
        • Jan 2004

Godrian knot is able to do that just enter the ratio you would like or else select smart crop all.
        Total Number Of Views
        Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• Fook Yu
          Shoe-shinner
          • Jan 2004

Don't forget that i want to go from avi 2.35:1 to dvd (vob) 2.35:1
          Not active user anymore

Comment

Working...