X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

TMPGEncPlus Freezes at 100% Encoded

I've been using TMGEncPlus for a variety of encoding tasks with no problems, but in the past couple of weeks it has started freezing at the end of the encoding process. It happens with different source files (e.g. MOV, MPG, AVI and others, all of which worked in the past). When the blue status bar reaches 100%, normally there is a sound and the buttons that are grayed out return to active, but when this problem began it doesn't finish, it just sits there at 100%, no sound and the buttons remained grayed. I wait a while, and then when I try to close the program, I get "program not resonding." The encoded files are fine, but I'm just annoyed by this new problem and wonder if it indicates something. Has anyone seen this before? Searching the forums, there are several threads about TMPGEnc freezing, but none of them seem to be the problem I am having. Usually they are due to problems with specific files or formats, but in my case, when this problem began, it happens with every file I try to encode.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you can locate (in the TMPGEnc folder) a file named "CURRENTCFG.TPR", TEMPORARILY move it elsewhere (or change the filename)...

Comment

• megamachine
      Video Fiddler
      • Mar 2003

Thanks setarip, I'll give that a try and see how it may effect my next few encoding projects, and get back soon with an update.

Comment

• ignignot
        • Mar 2004

I'm not sure why TMPGEnc does this, but I have encountered similar activity in just about every version of it. I've never seen it hang indefinately, but it seems to freeze for various lengths of time seemingly based on how long the actual encoding process took. I'll have to try moving the config file, never heard of doing that before

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

Well, I just tried it with a couple of small files, to no avail. I renamed CURRENTCFG.TPR and ran a few tests, with a couple of different source files, but the same thing happens. The encoding completes, but when it reaches 100%, it just freezes. When I close, I get the "program not responding" message, but when I check the output file it is fine. This just started a couple of weeks ago. Any other ideas what might be causing this annoyance?

Comment

• megamachine
            Video Fiddler
            • Mar 2003

Ignignot, I've been using TMPGEncPlus 2.56.39.143 for about a year, and it never happened till a couple of weeks ago. There's always a short pause between the time the blue bar reaches 100% and hearing the completion sound, which also returns the grayed out buttons to functionability, but with this new problem, for me, there's a total freeze, no matter how long I wait. Besides being annoying, I wonder if this freeze indicates another problem.

Comment

• ignignot
              • Mar 2004

"for me, there's a total freeze, no matter how long I wait"

Sounds like the problem is much more severe than anything I've encountered.

Have you tried simply uninstalling then re-installing TMPGEnc?

Comment

• Excel 2004
                • May 2004

I'm guessing that in this wait, either the video and audio are being interleaved or the header is being (re)written. This wait for me can last for as long as 10 minutes, but it never stops indefinitely.

Comment

• ignignot
                  • Mar 2004

The weird thing about TMPGEnc freezing at 100% is that the file can be opened without receiving an error about it being used by another process. Also, you can forcefully shut down the program and the output works fine.

This leads me to believe that there's it isn't doing anything during this time - so why does it happen?

Comment

Working...