Newbie Question About DVD Encoding/Burning...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XBurner
    • Aug 2005

Newbie Question About DVD Encoding/Burning...

Okay, I'm new to this DVD stuff 'cause I've never had a use for my DVD player. But I just finished downloading the entire run of the Spider-Man animated series, so I want to burn them as DVD's. They're all individual episodes, and they're all MPEG-3's. I was told that DVDShrink is what I need to use to burn these episodes to DVD's, so I got it. I also got a program named DIKO that is supposed to convert files to DVD-stuff, but I have no idea. Can anyone offer me some help? Much appreciated if so.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

"I was told that DVDShrink is what I need to use to burn these episodes to DVD's"

no. it is for backing up commercial dvd's.

the method i use is:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

"they're all MPEG-3's"

are you sure you don't meen mpeg 4 ?
      use either avicodec or gspot to correctly identify the video and audio format of the file/s. you can do as stated above or use one of the better freeware programs such as Svcd2dvd. "VSO divx to dvd" is another good program but is no longer free. mainconcept although more expensive is app 3-5x faster and excellent results. dvdshrink is for copying and compressing dvd's in their whole structure.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

i assumed they mixed up mpeg layer-3 audio for the video compression....

the file extensions are ".mpg" , ".avi", or something else?
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

@ columbo it probably is mp3 for audio but he states
          "I just finished downloading the entire run of the Spider-Man animated series,"
          so who knows

@ XBurner do these files play on your pc with video and audio ?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

yes who knows, maybe he/she will tell us?
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• XBurner
              • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by tigerman8u
              @ columbo it probably is mp3 for audio but he states
              "I just finished downloading the entire run of the Spider-Man animated series,"
              so who knows

@ XBurner do these files play on your pc with video and audio ?
              Yeah, they play on the PC just fine... when I go into the Properties for one of the episodes, it says "Audio format - MPEG Layer 3"...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

xburner

again

i assumed they mixed up mpeg layer-3 audio for the video compression....

what are the file extensions, ".avi"?

if so use the method i first posted.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• XBurner
                  • Aug 2005

Yup, all .avi's. I'll check out your way tonight. I'm on vacation this week so I wanted to get these done and burned to DVD's while I have more of nothing to do. Thanks for the help, guys. =)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

those files should be able to be plugged right into tmpgenc and converted to mpeg-2 for authoring--you shouldn't have to do anything special at all.

always glad to help
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...