• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KETAN
    • May 2002

Why compress AVI

Why do we compress AVI ?
    Other than space is there any benefit.
    I feel SVCD made out of compressed AVI losses some quality, whatever may be the form of compression.
    Request your views.
    ketan
  • Mac Sidewinder
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2002

The biggest advantage of compression is space. For example, an hours worth of digital video taken from my camera in uncompressed format takes up 13gb of space. By compression, I can get close to the same quality and put it on a single 800mb cd.

Now if you are talking about converting a divx avi (already compressed) into a svcd then I think the only advantage is that you can play it on a standalone dvd player. You will have some loss here in quality.

I personally wouldn't convert the divx avi - I simply output the divx through my video card (tv output) to the tv and watch it that way.

Mac

Comment

• LilCalvin
      • Apr 2002

not everybody has a video out card to their TV, though. But I have heard that DVD standalone players will support the DivX format pretty soon. Thats partially why I haven't bought a card or a player yet (I mainly need to save $$ for when i move away to college)

If anybody can confirm or deny the thing about DivX on a standalone DVD player, let me and everybody else know.

Comment

Working...