Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmax
    • Jul 2002

help please

i have recently downloaded a couple of divx movies off the net, which i enjoy watchin the excellent quality of the movies. i would like to know how can i burn these movies onto normal cd-r's while encoding them as vcd's to play on my dvd player? the file size of the avi is already too big, and when i encode them to vcd's before burning, they get even bigger, not allowing me to burn onto a cd-r.
    what can i do? i was thinking if i can split the movie in 2 parts and make two cd's, but how will i do that? will i have to encode again, making the quality lesser? thanks for your help
  • Scrubmonky
    • Jul 2002

CUT EM', then convert em'

hi newb... hehe just kidding. Ok you have to cut the movie. Here is how to do it :http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/cutavi.html. Then you have to convert into vcd and burn it.
    Here is how to convert/burn:

search the divx digest, it's full of everything you need

Comment

• Mac Sidewinder
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Apr 2002

I would first convert them to mpeg format then use the mpeg tools in tmpge to cut the video to the size you want. That way you don't have to guess how big to cut the avi's in the first place. If you guess wrong and then convert to mpeg the file may still be too large to put on a cd. Just my 2 cents.

Mac

Comment

• madmax
        • Jul 2002

Re: CUT EM', then convert em'

Originally posted by Scrubmonky
        hi newb... hehe just kidding. Ok you have to cut the movie. Here is how to do it :http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/cutavi.html. Then you have to convert into vcd and burn it.
        Here is how to convert/burn:

search the divx digest, it's full of everything you need
        hey submonky, thanks for your reply. i tried out the link to learn about how to cut the avi, but it didn't work. i don't know if u put it wrong or something. also, what i'm using to burn is Ahead Nero. When I burn a file to vcd, it automatically converts it, whether it's avi or mpeg. is that cool?

Comment

• cheftaz
          • Apr 2002

hey mad
          use tmpg to convert to vcd format not nero. Nero is great for burning but terrible for converting files. Go to www.vcdhelp.com there are some great how to tutorials. convert before cutting it makes it easier to get exact size
          Feathery fudge chocolate cake with white chocolate and pistachio buttercream!

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
            2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
            3) Click on "Setting" radio button
            4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
            5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
            6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
            7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - for highest quality set "Motion Search Precision" to "Highest Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
            8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)
            9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
            10) Press "Start"

Note that if your video runs longer than 60 or so minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Comment

Working...