Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zxcvbs
    • Jul 2002

framerate question...

I just finished converting a set of VOBs to AVI using graphedit, and it looked like everything went great, until I played the file. the sound was so off I'm not sure what the problem is, but I can always manually add the correct sound in virtualdub.

the main problem is the length of the file. the movie itself is about 83 minutes, but the AVI file I got stopped at about 65 minutes. I looked at the log file from smartripper, and noticed the frame count was about 120,000, which is for 83 minutes of video only at 24fps. I thought one was supposed to convert to divx using 29.97fps, so that's what I used, and that explains why the AVI I got stopped at 65 minutes.

I originally tried using gknot, which I couldn't get working for some reason, but I did notice that after I produced the DVD2AVI file, the frame count was about 150,000, which is the correct length at 29.97fps. how did it come up as more frames here, if the original VOBs have 120,000 frames? since I made the divx AVI at 29.97fps without enough frames, did I lose video, or is it playing at the wrong speed? I watched the file a bit, and it looked fine, but it ends 18 minutes so it can't be the right playback rate, but all these numbers are confusing me. will I be fine if I go ahead and reencode using graphedit at 24fps?

thanks in advance for any help!
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

I Suppose you could change the fps setting the avi file to 23.97. I don't quite remember which tools does this, look in the software section at www.divx-digest.com

You most likely have a Film encoded DVD. As doom9 gknot guide clearly explains you must use force film on such movies. encodeing movies at 29.97 fps will never be perfect.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• zxcvbs
      • Jul 2002

I can change the fps to 23.97 in virtualdub, but should I reconvert to divx first, or is all the video information there now, just played back too fast?

yes, I did use force film in gknot, but can anyone explain exactly what this means, what Film encoded DVDs are, and how in gknot I get 30,000 extra frames?

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Film encoded DVD's only contain 23.97 fps. But when played on a DVD player they are automatically converted to 29.97 fps, using telecine.

Read this guide for futher explanation.

Force film in DVD2AVI means that you keep the 23.97fps from the DVD.

If you selected Forcefilm in DVD2AVI, and still got 29.97 fps when encoding with GKnot, it must be because you forgot to set the fps setting in GKnot. Again doom9's guide is very clear on this subject.

Comment

• zxcvbs
          • Jul 2002

I have read the doom9 guide several times. it says gknot will load the correct fps and frames number from the DVD2AVI project, and it loads 29.97fps, which is the same as DVD2AVI reports when I preview the movie in it. and I did use force film, but I guess it didn't keep the 23.97fps. are you saying this is incorrect, and I should manually select 23.97fps?

and thanks for that link, it looks like it'll clear up some of my confusion

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

hmmm.. strange.

I have always been of the impression that GKnot could not read the framerate automatically. Which version are you using ?

And yes, if you used force film you must select 23.97 fps.

Comment

Working...