Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul C
    • Aug 2002

Why DivX?

I have been trying this DivX for some time. I have made lots of videos using various versions of it and, unless I am missing something here, I just can't see what all the fuss is about. What is so good about DivX?

By far the best results I have achieved with any low bitrate codec have been from the Microsoft MPEG 4 one. And I can't understand why people don't use that instead of DivX. The best results I have achieved from DivX have been from DivX pro, but even that does not even come close to the quality I can achieve from MS MPEG 4.

I know DivX is a version of MPEG 4, but if it is inferior to the Microsoft version, why use it? I am keen to learn and if anyone can tell me what DivX has to offer that MS MPEG 4 doesn't, I will take back everything I have said about it. But so far I can't see a single benefit over the Microsoft version.
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

What kind of source material are we talking about ?. With it's default settings, divx really really likes high quality (DVD) sources.

With TV captures you have to work with some noise filters, and perhaps play with the quantizers to get decent quality.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Paul C
      • Aug 2002

I have experimented with various sources including DVDs but mostly with my own camcorder tapes. I have also experimented with the settings and whatever I do I cannot get DivX to match the MS MPEG 4 quality unless I set it so high it takes up far greater disk space.

Using the default settings of MS MPEG 4 (i.e. 3000, and 75 on the separate crispness scale) I can copy any video, including an uncompressed AVI with no noticeable loss of picture quality. Copying a full length movie for fitting on a CD does require lowering the setting to around 400-500 for 640 x 480 resolution, and the picture quality is noticeably lower particularly in fast moving scenes. But it is still better than when I use DivX .

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

well, it doesn't matter, u can use MS MPEG4 or DIVX, no difference (oh, that's v2 of MS MPEG4)

I love the original DIVX, nothin can beat it.

The quality is a big improvement from MPEG (depends on source of course) and also, LOW file size - the key element also

Techno

Comment

Working...