Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AreZ
    • Aug 2002

1ste and 2th pass

Oke here we go. I read a lot of guides and post and encoded many times but I still can't get the result I'm after.

I have a movieclip of 24 minutes now I want it to be just perfect on 170mb and that should be possible. I just 128kbps MPEG-3 sound and a bitrate of 860 Divx5 ... but then the quantizer settings?? I've tryed 2and2 (perfect but size was like 240mb) ... 5and5 (size was 110mb) and also 3and6 (size was 140mb) ... oke and what about the second pass ... I use a lot of filters like 5: Deinterlace... temperal smoother ... smart smoother ... blur ... warpsharp (their great) but do I use the filters at the first pass only or only at the second or both? oke I hope someone can follow me and help me out here ... i'm very close of making the perfect rip

oh yeah forgot to mension that i never did the second pass ... i sticked with the first pass only so it would be nice to tell me the settings i should use at the second pass that work with the settings i now use or should use at the first pass
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: 1ste and 2th pass

... quantizer settings?? I've tryed 2and2 (perfect but size was like 240mb) ... 5and5 (size was 110mb) and also 3and6 (size was 140mb) ...
    Use a min. quant of 2 and max quant of 8 - 12, which is the generally acceptable setting. Min quant of 2 will ensure that DivX will give you the max. detail where possible (DivX does not do a quant of 1. Keep that in mind). The opposite applies to the max. quant. The higher the value, the more detail is discarded, but the smaller the filesize is likely to be.

do I use the filters at the first pass only or only at the second or both?
    The filter settings should not (must not, shall I say?) be changed between the first and second pass. The reason is, filter applications change the compressibility of the video and hence the .log or .stats file created in the first pass will likely not be suitable for the second pass.

oh yeah forgot to mension that i never did the second pass
    Then you couldn't have gotten a working AVI file, were you really doing a 2-pass encoding mode. The first pass creates an invalid AVI file. You should do the first pass, followed by the 2nd pass (Don't try to change any settings nor filters. They should be finalised prior to commencing the first pass).

Comment

• AreZ
      • Aug 2002

Re: Re: 1ste and 2th pass

Originally posted by Enchanter Then you couldn't have gotten a working AVI file, were you really doing a 2-pass encoding mode. The first pass creates an invalid AVI file. You should do the first pass, followed by the 2nd pass (Don't try to change any settings nor filters. They should be finalised prior to commencing the first pass). [/B]
      Oh hehe then if I select Divx 5 Pro as my video compressor in vdub it does all the passes ... oke

Hmmz yeah I now know how it works ... it's just a matter of trying cause you can't really tell what the size will be if you're working with divx 5/quantizer ...

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

hehe then if I select Divx 5 Pro as my video compressor in vdub it does all the passes
        No. You have to manually tell it to do how many and which pass.

Comment

Working...