Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andydev
    • Aug 2002

Xmpeg - Big divx

I convert a dvd (reservoir dogs) to divx using Xmpeg, following this guides: "Xmpeg Conversion Instructions" and "Setting up Xmpeg"
    I used Divx 4.02 Two Pass Encoding. I resize it to 512 width, removed all the black space, I decoded the sound to mp3 128 48.

But the output file was like 1200Mb!

Could some1 tell me which setting should I change? on the codec? the sound? the iDCT? etc...

10x all

AndyDev
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Re: Xmpeg - Big divx

Originally posted by Andydev

I used Divx 4.02 Two Pass Encoding.
    I assume you mean divx5.02, there was a divx4.02 once, but it's almost a year old.
    You need to set the bitrate, in the divx codec config, to reach your desired filesize, I'am sure the was covered in the guide.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Andydev
      • Aug 2002

Re: Re: Xmpeg - Big divx

Originally posted by khp

I assume you mean divx5.02, there was a divx4.02 once, but it's almost a year old.
      You need to set the bitrate, in the divx codec config, to reach your desired filesize, I'am sure the was covered in the guide.
      no, it's 4.02 and there is nothing about the bitrate

would you give me some tips about bitrate, sound, quality...
      what's better, mp3, divx audio? which quality?

10x alot

AndyDev

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Re: Re: Re: Xmpeg - Big divx

no, it's 4.02 and there is nothing about the bitrate
        Then you should definetly upgrade to 5.02.

would you give me some tips about bitrate, sound, quality...
        To get a predictable filesize, you have to calculate the appropriate bitrate and enter that into the divx codec configuration as explained here

A complete guide for DVD to DivX and Xvid conversion, now featuring instructions for Xvid encoding (page 3 of 5)

and you should be able to find a bitrate calculator here

Digital Digest DivX XviD Software Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, XviD and AVI software, latest news and updates

what's better, mp3, divx audio? which quality?
        The divx audio codec is a hacked version of microsofts wma audio codec, unfortunatly I don't have much experience with this codec.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Re: Xmpeg - Big divx

I convert a dvd (reservoir dogs) to divx using Xmpeg, following this guides: "Xmpeg Conversion Instructions" and "Setting up Xmpeg"
          I used Divx 4.02 Two Pass Encoding. I resize it to 512 width, removed all the black space, I decoded the sound to mp3 128 48.

But the output file was like 1200Mb!

Could some1 tell me which setting should I change? on the codec? the sound? the iDCT? etc...

10x all

AndyDev
          It is likely that the sound stream is not in MP3, but the space-consuming, uncompressed, PCM WAV. Flask has that occasional problem, and XMPEG, being a Flask derivative, is prone to this as well.

What I suggest you do is process the audio separately. Here's a quick run through:
          1. Use Graphedit or Vob2audio to extract the audio as .wav
          2. If you wish to amplify the volume, use a sound editor, such as Cooledit
          3. Convert the .wav file to .mp3 using any MP3 encoder, such as LAME
          4. Mux the video (that you are creating using XMPEG) with the .mp3 file using nandub

No changes on XMPEG need to be done, except, of course, to disable the audio processing.

Comment

• Andydev
            • Aug 2002

Re: Re: Xmpeg - Big divx

Originally posted by Enchanter

It is likely that the sound stream is not in MP3, but the space-consuming, uncompressed, PCM WAV. Flask has that occasional problem, and XMPEG, being a Flask derivative, is prone to this as well.

What I suggest you do is process the audio separately. Here's a quick run through:
            1. Use Graphedit or Vob2audio to extract the audio as .wav
            2. If you wish to amplify the volume, use a sound editor, such as Cooledit
            3. Convert the .wav file to .mp3 using any MP3 encoder, such as LAME
            4. Mux the video (that you are creating using XMPEG) with the .mp3 file using nandub

No changes on XMPEG need to be done, except, of course, to disable the audio processing.
            10x I'll try

Comment

Working...