• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erci
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Nov 2001

Deinterlacing problems on PAL movies

I trying to convert episodes of friends and they're all interlaced. I have used fast deinterlacing before but I think that the result isn't the best=(. I have tried GreedyHMA but I get a green and purple stripe on the right side...=( but it's better deinterlaced then fast deinterlace.
    What filter should I use.
    I only use gordianknot to save my avs and later encoding it nandub (it's still the best=)).
    Give me some examples on what to do with GreedyHMA or some other deinterlacing filters that wroks with avisynt or nandub and works great, please.

//Erci
    DVD Backup Guide
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Have you tried Smart Deinterlace? It worked great for some of my interlaced PAL materials.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

You might also try telecide.
      To use it with GK, all you need to do, is uncomment the line that loads the decomb.dll plugin and the line that contains the telecide function.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Erci
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Nov 2001

I haven't tried one of them but I'll do it soon.
        Thanks

//Erci
        DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Erci
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Nov 2001

I can't find the smart deinterlacing filter anywhere (donald grafts page is down=()... can someone give me an adress or put the file here for downloading, please.

Telecide got rid of a little bit of the ghostingf effect that fast deinterlacer give me but it seems that the clip sometimes playback at a lower framerate=( the clip almost jumps forward=(

//Erci
          DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Erci
            I can't find the smart deinterlacing filter anywhere (donald grafts page is down=()... can someone give me an adress or put the file here for downloading, please.
            Not down, moved

Originally posted by Erci

Telecide got rid of a little bit of the ghostingf effect that fast deinterlacer give me but it seems that the clip sometimes playback at a lower framerate=( the clip almost jumps forward=(
            I guess this can happen sometimes, what kind of interlace problem is this ?, movies that have been converted from NTSC to PAL can be almost impossible to properly deinterlace, Smart deinterlace might be your best bet in cases like this. Telecide work best on PAL sources where the field order has been shifted.
            Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
            http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

you should give greedhma a try:

Comment

• Erci
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Nov 2001

@khp
                I don't know what kind of deinterlacing problem this is... I only know that it's Friends (the best show ever=)) so I can imagine that it's like that.

@UncasMS
                Read my first post again please, this time a little bit more properly=)

//Erci
                DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

and you're sure you didnt use improper cropping values

i never had those green lines exept for fast deinterlace and crappy crop settings.

but anyway, you seem to be knowing what you're doing

sorry for posting a stupid reply

Comment

• Erci
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2001

I got thoose lines once when I used Fast Deinterlace before and once when I did some bad cropping. And I have used other filters one the same avs file, just commented greedyhma and it works just fine If I'm the responsible to thoose lines I would be glad because I would like to use greedyHMA since it gives me the best quality except for thoose lines.

If you might be able tofind out what he problem with greedy is, this is how I did use everything:
                    First rip it wirh smartripper, use dvd2avi, besweet, GordianKnot to do the cropping and resizing and only save the avs file. The resolution I used was 480x384 if I remember correctly. It's very little to crop=( since it's fullscreen. I opened the avs file in notepad and uncommented the greedy plugin and greedy under deinterlacing, open nandub and do all the encoding there.

NP about the question...

//Erci
                    DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

in the top-right corner of your bitrate tab in gk, make sure to use values that are /div 4!

Comment

• Erci
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Nov 2001

Are you sure that you mean the bitrate tab? Cause I can't find any values there. Except the size and which codec to use. Though under the resolution tab there are the cropping values. Thoose values couldn't be divided by four. So if it was thoose values you meant that would maby be the problem.

//Erci
                        DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

SORRY

no, of course it should have been the RESOLUTION tab, since you were going to change your res.

Comment

• Erci
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Nov 2001

Finally I got greedy to work but not by changing the cropping in gordainknot but by doing no cropping and resizing at all in gordianknot.
                            I only saved the avs, uncommented the lines and opened the file in nandub, did the cropping and resizing there and the result was great (almost) just a little ghosting effect left but it was so little so it was barely noticible.

Now I can finally rip friends with great quality=)

//Erci
                            DVD Backup Guide

Comment

Working...