Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    • Feb 2002

SVCD to divx??

I have a two cd svcd dvd rip that I want to encode to a one cd divx file, is this possible?

If it is could someone point me to a tutorial?
    And if anyone has done this before what, if any, was the quality loss when going from svcd to divx?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

you can frameserve those mpeg2-files (svcd = mpeg2) into virtualdub or nandub via dvd2avi just like one would with using dvd-source-material (i.e. vob-files).

in case you never did any such transcoding, you better be reading some guides on how to use dvd2avi+virtualdub first.

you could find many tutorials for virtualdub or gordianknot (which makes use of virtualdub for transcoding)

Comment

• ivwshane
      • Feb 2002

So I could use gknot then?

Do you have any idea what kind of quality loss I might expect from the reencoding?

Thanks.

Oh and is it best to rejoin it first or after the reencoding?
      Last edited by ivwshane; 8 Sep 2002, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

if your svcds are good quality, then the avi will be decent as well!

i turned a 4cd svcd movie into a 3cd avi version once and it looked quite fine!

keep in mind NOT to use any resolution that is bigger than your actual svcd resolution is now.

you wont have to join those mpeg files, handle them like you would handle vobs.

Comment

• TheDarkInfluenc
          • Sep 2002

If a video in divx is 2 cds then the only way I've seen svcd (with the same exact settings as the divx) being able to beat divx is if you add 1 more cd making a 3 disc svcd. Now you are able to come alot closer to the origional dvd quality using svcd vs divx when space/size does not matter. I personaly would rerip the video from scratch using divx since I'm more the type that wants great quality with 1 or 2 cds so it's all up to you. Besides the audio you can combine with divx is more versitile then Svcd.

Comment

Working...