• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vaughn
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2002

Gordion Knot skipping?

When i use Gknot to convert a dvd to cd and i try to playback it pauses every 5 seconds or so, it is a regular interval. Why is this?

I have converted with a resoulution of 576 X 480 which is the same res i use for other dvd to cd conversion apps and i had no problems wathcing the end product on my cpu so i don't think it is my computers fault. I get no error messages and i use Divx5.

Any ideas?
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

I would suspect the problem might be audio related. Do you also get skipping in the soundless *_movie.avi file ?.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Vaughn
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jan 2002

Nope the movie file that has no audio runs smooth. I do not make a mp3 before i encode (too complicated) so i just mux them together. In my audio movie the audio and video is out of sync as well. So it appears to be an audio problem then, what would you do?

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Oh, so you are using AC3 then ?.

I would suggest, encoding to mp3 instead.

And I don't see how that can be considered more complicated. Instead of selecting 'just mux' you just have to select 'MP3 [Bitrate]'. And GKnot will convert, the ac3 file you selected, to mp3.

Comment

• Vaughn
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Jan 2002

Yes i am using AC3 and i tried your suggestion and i did indeed get audio in my movie and it is an improvement but still work to be done. Instead of skipping every 5 seconds it does it less often, perhaps every 10 or 15 seconds. Any other options that i have that you are aware of?

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

OK then things become a bit more complicated But not much

I would say that the problem is caused either by the vbr audio or the 48khz sampling rate.

To use normal cbr audio you need to select MP3 custom Parameters, and enter [--alt-preset cbr 128] in the Lame Transcoding parameters box (other bitrates are also possible). To use 44.1khz audio you need to enable "Downsample to 44.1khz (SSRC)"
            Last edited by khp; 10 Sep 2002, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Erci
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Nov 2001

I would suggest that you use BeSweet with BeSweet GUI. This works great.

//Erci
              DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Vaughn
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Jan 2002

First of all i already am using Be Sweet, thx. Second before i read this i experimented and reconverted only this time selecting the IVTC option in GOrdion KNot. Oddly enough there was no skipping at all and the audio was perfectly synced... and yes i have a NTSC film. However next time i will try KHP's recommendation.

Comment

Working...