Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moosetrax
    • Oct 2002

DIVX to AVI

I don't know if I'm just a moron, but I'm farely new at encoding stuff. I like to download movies via Limewire and Imesh and they typically come in AVI format. I've used AVI2MPG to decompress the audio and then I use TEMPGen to re-encode the video and split it to be able to burn the resulting mpg to vcd and everything has worked fine until today. I downloaded two movies and they were in DIVX movie file format. None of my software programs would even load it to be able to convert it to anything. I checked on the internet for different sites that offered ideas on how to convert but they all said to use the same programs that I've already tried and failed. So just as a last resort aside from just giving up and deleting the files, I went into WINRAR and changed the file extension from DIVX to AVI -- and it worked!!! AVI2MPG is letting me decompress the audio and it's loading up in TEMPGen, I guess I'll send a new post when all is complete to let everyone know whether it worked or not. Maybe you guys new this all along and I just couldn't find any clarification anywhere, but for the newbie (like me), that runs into these problems, this was my clue. Thanx.
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Yup, some people like to name divx encoded avi files *.divx, instead of *.avi.

That way you can configure windows to use a specific player for divx files, like the divx player, yuck.

And of course things has now become even more confusing, because DXN likes calling mp4 files *.divx.
    Last edited by khp; 8 Oct 2002, 09:40 AM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...