X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toxic Ivy
    • May 2002

Converting SVCD to DivX

Hi,
    I'm trying to convert a SVCD file into a DivX file.
    I can't import in Virtual Dub (Errormessage is: "MPEG Import Filter: pack synchronization error").
    NanDub is no good, cause you can't compress the videofile (why is that anyway... hmmm... second question for whoever wants to help me). And also it gives the same error as in Virtual Dub.
    So, in the end, I tried MPEG Mediator, which let me convert the file, but the image is very shocky (or whatever the right term is, English is not my main language).
    Does anybody knows what to do, cause the SVCD file is too big to put on CD and I just like it better in Divx.

Thanx
    Ivan "Toxic Ivy"
    (The Netherlands
  • Toxic Ivy
    • May 2002

Update

Just a small update. I've just used Nicky's Pages on his matter on converting VCD to Avi using first VCD Gear, but it didn't work. I processed my SVCD file through VCD Gear and it said there were no errors, but after that, I still couldn't import the new file in Virtual Dub.
    I'm at a total loss right now.

Please help,

Ivan "Toxic Ivy"
    The Netherlands

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Try using Flask...

Comment

• Toxic Ivy
        • May 2002

It doesn't work. The sound comes out fine, but there is no picture.

Ivan "Toxic Ivy"
        The Netherlands

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

you can frameserve your mpg file to virtualdub

dvd2avi => vfapi or avisynth => virtualdub

Comment

• Toxic Ivy
            • May 2002

DVD2AVI didn't do the job right for me, so I decided to use every method I've tried before again. And what do you know, MPEG mediator worked this time like a charm. No shocking picture of any kind.
            I've use Mediator to encode the picture into divx 5.02. Then, using Avi info, I extracted the audio, which was left uncompressed (MPEG Mediator can't do that.) I imported the avi file in NanDub and used as audio the wav file, compressed it, saved as abi file and there is was.'
            Thanx to setarip and UncasMS for the tips, even thought they didn't help. I appreciate it.

Ivan "Toxic Ivy"
            The Netherlands

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"I extracted the audio, which was left uncompressed (MPEG Mediator can't do that.)"

Mediator certainly DOES provide the ability to select an audio compression format (from within the same dropdown that allows you to configure your video codec)...

Comment

• Toxic Ivy
                • May 2002

Sorry, my bad. Mediator can compress the audio, but I don't use it, because my experience is that when using the mp3 compression, the quality is very bad. AMybe something with my mp3 codecs, but the quality was much better leaving the audio at uncompressed PCM and compress it later in Virtual or Nandub.
                It takes some extra time, but quality over quantity.

Ivan "Toxic Ivy"
                The Netherlands

Comment

Working...