Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eli2k
    • Oct 2002

These Divx Decoder Settings

Okay, inside the Divx 5.02 Decoder Configuration screen and under the Quality Settings tab, can someone please explain which should be checked? I found some explanations for the terms:

Added a "Smooth Playback" option. Turning this off will allow B-frame encoded content to playback with lower CPU usage. However, enabling this option will introduce a 1 frame delay in the decoder (because of buffering), which may cause the last frame of the video to not be displayed.
    Added a "YUV Extended" mode option. When selected, the codec will attempt to use YV12 mode to decode the video. This is the fastest way to decode DivX content, but the drawback is that brightness/contrast/saturation controls cannot be used in this mode and are disabled.
    Added an "Overlay Extended" mode. Selecting this will cause the filter to try to display video using the hardware overlay instead of the software overlay. The hardware overlay is much faster, but may not be supported on some video cards. When this mode is enabled, DirectShow-based player applications will be unable to open more than one window at a time.
    Added a "Double Buffering" option. Enabling this will force the video card to allocate a second buffer for the video playback. This will increase the smoothness of the video playback, but may not be supported on low-end video cards with less than 8 MB of RAM.
    Thanks.
    -Eli
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Smooth playback should always be turn off, it's buggy as hell and completly useless.
    I think the text explains the last three options very well. Turn it on or leave it off as your heart desires.
    Last edited by khp; 3 Dec 2002, 11:53 AM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Chrominium
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by khp
      Smooth playback should always be turn off, it's buggy as hell and completly useless.
      I think the text explains the last three options very well. Turn it on or leave it off as your heart desires.
      Whats wrong with Smooth playback? I dont find any problems with it unless you use Microsoft Media Player.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

It often causes playback to freeze. Even DXN admits this.

If you haven't experienced this yet you are lucky.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• eli2k
          • Oct 2002

I'm with khp on that freezing issue with the Smooth Playback function enabled. Looks like this other problem I had is solved now after disabling that "feature".
          -Eli

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by khp
            It often causes playback to freeze. Even DXN admits this.

If you haven't experienced this yet you are lucky.

absolutely true!
            i have long turned this option off!

Comment

Working...