Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HDRed
    • Dec 2002

Interlaced VS. De-Interlaced

I've seen quite a few threads which contain information and various facts or tips about de-interlacing the output video.

What are the pros/[COLOR=royal blue]cons[/COLOR] of de-interlacing, and how much of a difference is there between interlaced and de-interlaced DivX output?

Also, if I've never bothered to de-interlace my output, is it worth it to re-encode my movies with de-interlacing enabled?
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

First of all, all divx movies are encoded as full progressive frames, you can't deinterlace a clip that has already been encoded to divx.

And ofcourse you should only use deinterlacing, if you get interlace artifacts, in which case it should always be used before encoding to divx.

There are a ton of articles on this subject here at the www.divx-digest.com and at www.doom9.org
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• HDRed
      • Dec 2002

khp, i misphrased that.

what i meant to ask was, if i have the .vob files, is it worth it to redo the encoding with deinterlacing enabled - will this help full-screen quality with the scan line effect?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by HDRed
        if i have the .vob files, is it worth it to redo the encoding with deinterlacing enabled - will this help full-screen quality with the scan line effect?
        Deinterlace when your source suffers from interlace artifacts (most NTSC sources do require deinterlacing). Interlace artifacts adversely affect the quality of the movie and, of course, viewing enjoyment.

I personally recommend Donald Graft's Decomb Avisynth filter. It is very effective and results in clean frames (normal deinterlacers usually cause blurring).

Comment

Working...