Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zie
    • Apr 2002

.mpg shrink using Divx

I've downloaded some futurama ~200mb mpgs and 200 is to much for me so I thought of encoding it to ~80mb Divx.

I downloaded VirtualDub 1.4.11 and Adv.Bitrate Divx Calc 1.95 and the Radium mp3 codec.

Loaded the mpg in VD and choose Full processing for both Audio and Video. Calc said that with a 128 mp3 and 80mb file the Video bitrate should be 360. I choose Mpeg Layer 3 as the audio codec and Divx4-low motion for the video. All other settings in VD is default.

Everything goes well and VD is finished 10mins later, the problem is that the divx has the famous (amateur rip) delayed audio problem. As the epi playes the delay grows.

Help me and show me the right way to do this.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try using VirtualDub in a two-step procedure, as follows:

1) Use the same procedure you've described EXCEPT set the audio to "No compression (PCM) - and save with a new filename. Close VirtualDub. Play this new file to ascertain that audio and video remain synchronized (I'm assuming you've already determined that this IS the case with the original MPEG file)

2) Restart VirtualDub. Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy" and "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode". Under the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" - and choose the desired .MP3 sampling rate (using the SAME frequency - probably 44,100Hz - as the Uncompressed stream). Save with a new filename

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• zie
      • Apr 2002

Why not make a program that could fix it the first time
      Thanks for your advice, I hope this will work

I will post my results later.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Why not make a program that could fix it the first time"

If you're a programmer, by all means, create one for us ;>}

But seriously, I carefully stated that you, " Try using VirtualDub in a two-step procedure..." - with the intended stress on the word "try" - because when you're dealing with downloaded files (as opposed to files that you've created by yourself), you're leaving the door open to myriad problems created by others - "The price you pay" for these 'free" videos

(Maybe I'll try to copyright the phrase, "The price you pay"...)

Comment

• zie
          • Apr 2002

To bad im not a programmer Well i can make a simple "Hello World" program

I tried enc.ing as you suggested but even the PCM file gets unsyncronized. It must have something to do with the changed bitrate of the video. This is a very common problem surley someone must have a solution?

Make suggestions and I will comply

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"It must have something to do with the changed bitrate of the video."

It shouldn't have anything to do with the video bitrate, but it MAY have to do with the framerate.

As an experiment,

Load your originally created .AVI into VirtualDub and set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy"

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Change so video and audio durations match"

Save with a new filename

(Make sure that under the "Options" dropdown menu, the phrase "Sync to audio" has a checkmark next to it. It should, as this is the default - but I try not to leave anything to chance)
            Last edited by setarip; 12 Jan 2003, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• zie
              • Apr 2002

"Load your originally created .AVI into VirtualDub and set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy""

You mean the one with the PCM sound and divx video?

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Nope (although that should be okay as well) - I was referring to the ORIGINAL .AVI that you created (bitrate 360, plus .MP3 audio), as mentioned in your initial post...

Comment

• zie
                  • Apr 2002

I did what you said and now I at least have one divx with a a/v sync Tnx for the help.

What happend with the framerate or audio in the conversion that made me use the "Change so video and audio durations match" box? To fix it?

Why do all movies have such high FPS?, now with the "Change so video and audio durations match" my conversion has 30FPS. The human eye wont se the difference between 30 FPS and 24 (like in Disney movies). Lowering the FPS would save memory for higher bitrate and a better quality rip.

Has it with the TV and NTSC/PAL format?

EDIT: Framerate has nothing to do with size has it? My first 29.970 and the fixed 30.001 had no change in filesize. (or only 10kb)
                  Last edited by zie; 12 Jan 2003, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"I did what you said and now I at least have one divx with a a/v sync Tnx for the help."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...